PDA

View Full Version : What would you do (if it was your engine)

mbourland
09-09-2007, 08:47
I have a 93 3500 that needs an engine rebuild, it still runs but is very noisy (bottom end noise). I want to build it to hold an increase in horsepower. My question is should I replace the crank with a stroger one, I am going to use 18:1 pistons so I can run more boost. But what about the rods, are they adequate? Should I do something in the heads or leave them alone. Also I am going to run marine injectors and injection pump, so what about turbo? Should I replace it, if so what should I use? Thanks for your help

More Power
09-09-2007, 11:22
First step: Tear it down to see what you have to work with.

If building another performance 6.5, I would consider the following to be essential or at least high on the wish list.... ;)

1- 18:1 pistons.
2- DSG Gear Drive
3- Balanced rotating assy.
4- Hi-cap cooling system - 130-gpm water pump, twin stats, fan-clutch (either recalibrated viscous or electric) & Duramax fan.
5- Fluidampr.
6- Aftermarket turbocharger.

If AMG releases a forged-steel & nitrided crank, I'd lean that direction, along with splayed main caps. The new cast steel cranks might work out to be a better option than the stock cast-iron versions, but we just don't know enough about them yet.

Jim

Robyn
09-09-2007, 17:24
Ratman is building a 6.5 with a SCAT cast steel crank so we will be seeing more info on his soon.

Robyn

mbourland
09-11-2007, 13:29
ok thanks, ill prob jerk my engine out this next weekend and ill keep everyone posted on what I find.

ercaduceus
09-11-2007, 20:15
Not that I'm and authority but I would check the main webs and heads for cracks before getting to far into the build.