PDA

View Full Version : No start!!!

6.5diesel
09-09-2007, 21:28
this is the first time this has happened, i started the truck and it ran for about 5 min and then it died, and when i tryed to start it again it would not fire, let it sit for about 5 min and it started again and died right away and now it wont start at all. what could be the problem. the truck has 122000 miles on it, this is my only form of transportion so i need to get it fixed asap

rameye
09-10-2007, 04:09
Without any info...

I will take a guess its the oil pressure switch....fair chance that during cranking you're getting fuel, but when the lift pump power transfers over after starting, the the OPS is providing zero power to the lift pump. The fix is a new oil pressure switch.

Thats my shot on the dark guess....

Now to do this right, do a search for no start condition and follow the steps outlined.

Could also be a couple of other items...be systematic and eliminate possibilities.

tom

Mark Rinker
09-10-2007, 05:19
If you don't already carry a spare - try a known, good FSD to rule that out...

Robyn
09-10-2007, 06:27
A quicky

With the engine running you should get fuel from the drain valve up front by the Tstat housing. You can just stick the little hose in a can and then open the valve. If there is no fuel delivered and or the engine dies when you open the valve its a PUMP issue.

The trouble can be as Mark mentioned "The Oil pressure switch"

Good luck

Robyn

6.5diesel
09-10-2007, 09:42
i tried to start the truck this morning and at first it did not fire, after about 5 min of cranking it started and shut off right away, restarted and it ran for about 5min and died, restarted and it is still running right now and has been for about 10 min, the ses light was never on and i dont have a code reader to check for any logged codes, could it be that the fsd/pmd is going bad? i turned on the drain valvle from pump and there was fuel and it stayed running and during cranking it showed that it had oil pressure so the oil pressure switch is working.

DmaxMaverick
09-10-2007, 10:14
The OPS for the lift pump is not the same sender/switch for the gage. They do fail intermitently, or with poor contact. It's a switch, not a sender. Next time it dies, remove the cap from the filter and check for air. If there is a significant empty space at the top of the filter, you either have a large leak (sucking air), or the LP is not pumping all the time. With the drain valve open when running at idle, it should stream a good amount of fuel (no bubbles), and the engine should remain running w/o missing a beat. If the stream is not consistent, your pump is not pumping consistent. Could be the pump or the OPS (or various connections or grounds). Doesn't sound like a PMD/FSD, but stranger things have happened. If the LP circuit is good and you have no fuel supply issues, The PMD/FSD, IP, or PCM could be NFG. R/R the FUBAR ASAP or you'll be FORD PDQ. TTFN......(sounds like a cell phone commercial, huh...)

6.5diesel
09-10-2007, 17:22
thanks for the input, i borrowed my uncles spare pmd and it started right up and ran good, It seemed to fix the problem going to order a new one with the cooler.