PDA

View Full Version : New to the 6.5L

86DuallyCrew
09-10-2007, 18:54
We currently have an 86 with the NA 6.2L. We tow a 2 car trailer that weighs about 9500-10000 it doesn't tow it badly on flat ground or down hill but on grades it just kills it. I found a 1995 Dually extended cab with the 6.5 TD for 5000 and am planning on offering a little less. The guy has owned it since new and it has been meticulously maintained. It is 2wd and has about 126000 miles on it. It is a 5 speed. I will be using this as my daily driver as well so I am not going to go wild on Mod's but have read about the cooling stuff and gauges being important so it will get those. Other than that will this be a noticeable upgrade from what we have now? I would think so, I know its not going to tow like a D-max or Cummins, but if it is significantly better than the 6.2 I think I am going to go through with it. I am going to look at it on Wednesday afternoon, is there anything specifically I should be looking for as far as problem areas? Any thoughts would be appreciated...Thanks!!!

Robyn
09-10-2007, 20:46
The usual stuff
Oil leaks, coolant leaks, blow by out the oil fill.
Make sure you can start it from a cold engine so you can see how well it starts up.

Run it until its good and warm and check for coolant blow over from the surge tank.

Be sure the turbo is not shot.
Ask if you can remove the air filter cover and the turbo inlet hose and spin the turbo and check the compressor wheel for excess radial clearance or signs that ist been eating the housing.

See how it drives out, power? shift good? overall condition.

Leaks in tranny or other gear boxes.

Overrall condition of the body and interior.
The body and interior cost far more to fix than a tranny or and engine.
Age and miles mean nothing, condition is everything.

Good luck

Robyn

86DuallyCrew
09-11-2007, 18:00
Thanks for the tips.

What about the towing power, how will it do with about 9500lbs behind it. I know it won't scream but will it do ok?

drewkeen
09-11-2007, 19:46
I don't see anyway it would pull any slower than a 6.2L.

You can always chip it and get an exhaust to really wake it up.