PDA

View Full Version : 1995 K2500 Chevy 6.5 Diesel *NO START*

Monan
09-11-2007, 17:54
I suspect it's a fuel issue. I crank and crank with no results. I checked the bleed line on the fuel filter and fuel comes out, I check the T-Valve and no fuel comes out with ignition on or while cranking however when I turn my key it does release a small amount of fuel for half a second.
Anything else I should check before I send this off to the mechanic? The thing ran fine until now, I've had no indications that anything was wrong until now. It was running just fine yesterday.
Thanks.

rameye
09-12-2007, 02:45
Fuel should be gushing out of that T-stat bleed line....verify pump is actually working.

Monan
09-12-2007, 08:54
I've checked the injector lines and they're not getting any fuel either. It's looking like a pump failure to me right now. How can I check to see if its working?

kaylabryn
09-12-2007, 10:58
I would bet you have a dead PMD. Just a guess due to the fact you said you have fuel prior to the pump but none after the pump.

Mike

Monan
09-12-2007, 17:15
I would bet you have a dead PMD. Just a guess due to the fact you said you have fuel prior to the pump but none after the pump.

Mike

Hi there, before I go buy a PMD to test and see if that's the problem I was wondering how I could hard wire my pump to see if it's operating or not. Is this even possible?

moondoggie
09-13-2007, 05:41
Good Day!

"...I was wondering how I could hard wire my pump to see if it's operating or not. Is this even possible?" Nope. If, however, you purchase a new PMD / FSD with an extender cable, you can't go wrong - PMD / FSD failures are common, so it's likely you'll need one some day anyway; at the very least, even if you never used the new one, you could get some of your money back here in the classifieds, eh? ;)

I do, however, wonder if the on-off fuel solenoid could maybe be not opening? I'd do some searching; I don't know how to troubleshoot this part. Be careful to be clear that you're looking for the on-off fuel solenoid (the one with one wire, on the front-top of the IP), NOT the fuel solenoid that controls the injection events (on the rear of the IP).

Blessings!

tommac95
09-13-2007, 17:55
Monan-
Suggest locate LiftPump and hotwire {or with ignition ON, engine OFF, put shift lever into Drive , turn key to START} to do 1) fuel pressure test , 2) fuel volume {delivery} test.

Also check OPS .

Did you just get fueled-up on last run home? If so maybe got bad load of fuel which badly clogged fuel filter.

The LP costs $100 , the high pressure FuelInjectionPump costs more like $1100.....
So insure a pressurized supply of clean diesel to the FIP before do much else.

P.S. the ignition switches on '95 year seem problemmatic.

Monan
09-13-2007, 19:35
thanks for the replies guys.
I did the test with the truck in D and turn the key with the T-valve open and it spits out fuel all the way to the battery. The flow seems very healthy. I'm on a mission right now to get a PMD to plug in to see if that may be the problem before I go and splurge on a IP.

Monan
09-20-2007, 20:08
Hey guys, just to conclude this thread the truck has started again and it was the PMD. Thanks for all your help gentlemen, muuuuch appreciated.

twaddle
09-21-2007, 01:36
Hi there,
Glad to hear you got the engine fired up and also found the cause of your troubles.

I would also recommend carrying a spare pmd, Just in case. The little devils can be unpredictable.

Jim

Turbine Doc
09-21-2007, 10:00
Easy lift pump test,

I was having some issues with mine found a way on OBD-II (maybe new info or not) to force the lift pump to run, I don't know if OBD-I has similar set up old gassers do which is what prompted me to look on my (2) 98 6.5's, Truck & Burb

Spade lug to connector, then jumper to hot, lift pump runs, also IIRC on OBD-I's is a way to jumper across the relay for run I just don't remember how it is done, but pics attached show the jumper for force run on OBD-II without pulling the relay.

moondoggie
09-21-2007, 11:41
Good Day!

Wow, that's gotta be some sort of record for me misreading a post. I'm telling him there's no way to hard-wire the IP injection-control solenoid, when he simply wants to know how to run the LP; I musta took an extra moron pill that day, eh? :confused:

REAL glad you got 'er running. :)

Blessings!
(signature in previous post)

Turbine Doc
09-21-2007, 12:10
Good Day!

Wow, that's gotta be some sort of record for me misreading a post. I'm telling him there's no way to hard-wire the IP injection-control solenoid, when he simply wants to know how to run the LP; I musta took an extra moron pill that day, eh? :confused:

REAL glad you got 'er running. :)

Blessings!
(signature in previous post)

No Moron pills as it is real easy to gloss over & missing info/context Doggie, how do I check pump isn't real definative; since we have 2 pump possibilites both answers wound up being covered, but I see where I jumped in with my pics tommac95 said sort of same thing I did, so I guess I must have gotten a dose myself.

JohnC
09-21-2007, 12:11
ODB 1 has a pin in the ALDL that's directly connected to the lift pump. The wire is red. Maybe the upper right???

Turbine Doc
09-21-2007, 12:30
Thanks for info John, does that ALDL jumper also require key on or just straight jump to gnd to energize the lift pump, also do you know if a connector is under hood like on the OBD-II, would make post filter change purges easier if you could tap in & toggle on lift pump rite at the filter itself

twaddle
09-21-2007, 13:11
I thought Monan was talking about the Injection pump too, as he was talking in relation to the PMD.

Don't think it was the moron pills after all!!!

Jim

JohnC
09-21-2007, 15:05
Tim:

You have to apply 12v to the ALDL pin (it's a red wire...) From there it's a straight shot to the pump. No relay or OPS.

AFAIK, no plug under the hood.

Turbine Doc
09-21-2007, 21:36
Thanks John I hit my 95 manual I don't spend much time in it owning 98s with OBD II

Pin G on DLC= Data Link Connector is the lift pump test jumper point for OBD-I vs the pigtail OBD-II has as shown in earlier pictures.

Monan
09-24-2007, 14:37
I was talking about the IP initially but alot of great info has risen because of my vagueness. Great info regardless that will certainly help someone out sometime.

JohnC
09-25-2007, 15:26
Pin G on DLC= Data Link Connector is the lift pump test jumper point for OBD-I

Musta been standing on my head when I figured it was upper right...