PDA

View Full Version : Ramp angles with 5th wheel

MikeC
09-11-2007, 20:44
Hi all,

My wife and I are seriously looking toward getting a 5th wheel. I have a concern about ramp angles and hitting the bed with the camper.

Reason for my concern is my driveway. My drive comes to the road and raises about 6-7 feet in about 30 feet before the road. Then at the top of the slope I have to turn 90 degrees onto the road.

For those of you with 5th wheel experience: How much clearance do I need bed to trailer and/or How much ramp angle is OK before the bed hits the trailer?

Thanks in advance,
Mike

rtphillips370
09-11-2007, 20:52
I would have to say that it depends on the truck and the trailer you are getting. I am on my second fifth wheel now (pic in the photo album on this forum), my newer one sits lower to the bed than my old one then I have a long bed so that may be a factor vs. a short bed.

One thing that both 5'ers have in common and my fifth wheel plate is the ability to make vertical adjustments. Both of mine had the ability to move the pin box up and down as well as the plate.

bsldallas
09-12-2007, 06:08
2 things to keep in mind would be an extended kingpin box (most have) and a slider hitch. If your TT makes without dragging you should be safe. I have had mine on some high hills and turns in and out of places. But when I had a srw sb with the slider hitch made a big difference.

joncar
09-14-2007, 07:12
you need minimum of 6 inches...joncar

Pewter Max
09-14-2007, 19:05
I would also recomend getting someone to watch the tailgate , I got in a double angle a few years ago and before I knew it the back of the hitch box got into the top of my tailgate and mashed it in .
I now have an RV tailgate . ( It takes the worry out of being close )