PDA

View Full Version : What does a complete 6.5L weigh?

nedfunnell
09-11-2007, 22:56
Does anyone know what the complete 'wet' weight of a 6.5L engine is? I looked up the weight of a 6.2L on an old website and it said 644, which I thought was a little low. I suppose that that figure doesn't include things like coolant, etc. What I really want to know is how much do all the engine-specific components weigh? If you were to take out everything engine-related in the engine bay- engine, batteries, radiator, etc and reassembled it outside of the truck- how much would it weigh? (not the transmission, brakes, A/C, power steering, etc though) I estimate around 850, at least. What do you all think?

More Power
09-12-2007, 10:14
A bare 6.2/6.5 longblock weighs approximately 700-lbs, according to GM. A dressed 6.5TD would weigh another 100-lbs or so, depending on model year of the accessories. The 1996+ models use heavier accessory brackets.

It's interesting to note that the Duramax 6600 was designed to weigh approximately the same as the 6.5. This required lots of aluminum. According to GM the dressed LB7 Duramax 6600 weighs 835-lbs.

Jim