PDA

View Full Version : LBZ/Allison '06 F-250. Opinions, Tips?

Audiophile31
09-12-2007, 15:16
Hey Everyone,
I am planning a taboo conversion in everyones books. I have been planing a conversion since before i bought this truck new last year. Originally i had planned on a cummins but i have had 5 of them since 2003 and want something else. i liked the 6.0L diesel because it revved higher and had a broader power band then the 5.9L, but reliability issues are concerning me and i want something dependable. My main concern for this swap is electronics, i believe im going to have to have the factory gmc cluster, which i may be able to fit in my dash, but that is a worthwhile swap as the ford gauges suck. id like to keep the other factory ford things so the truck looks as clean looking as possible. its got all digital controls for ac and such and would like to keep it. hopefully i can interface enough ford to D/A as i can. Fabrication isn't as much of a concern so unless there is something unseen, i don't need to be told that its going to be harder than plugging some things in.
Any tips or ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Andrew

DarylB
09-12-2007, 15:38
If you planned the conversion before you bought the F*** why didn't you just buy a chevrolet/gmc/dodge to start with?

More Power
09-12-2007, 16:47
Cool idea! If the Ford electronics are as interconnected as the new GM's, you may want to maintain much of the in-cab electronics and vehicle ECM. The D/A will run without its own cluster.

Have you thought about a 7.3L swap? The 7.3L PSD doesn't lend itself to make big power as as easily as the Duramax & Cummins, but it is a proven engine...

Jim

Audiophile31
09-12-2007, 21:05
Thanks Maximum,
I actually hadn't really thought about it, thats a good idea. I know they have a long running and a larger parts availability from the interchange between the light and medium duty truck lines. I don't want to use a Ford transmission, but that shouldn't be an issue because I could still run the Allison. I don't know much about the 1000 series used in the GMCs, but if the bell housings are interchangeable with the 2000 series, I could theoretically bolt one to a 7.3L. Otherwise, I am sure an adapter could be sourced/fabbed. One thing I just thought about though is I don't know what kind of problems I may potentially encounter as far as emissions, registration, and inspection purposes if it is an older motor in a 2006 truck. This is still on the drawing boards, I would like to do some more research into all of my possibility's. The Duramax suited me because, like DarylB stated, I had originally intended to buy a Dodge, but I heard of Daimler's plan to sell off Chrysler (which they did). I was afraid of the future of Chrysler, if the new truck was like any of my past Dodge's, it would be to the dealer numerous times for safety recalls and the like. I didn't want to end up having to eat all of Chrysler's mistakes for a truck I had only purchased for the motor (Yes, the 6.0L has a world of problems, but I didn't buy the truck for the motor). I looked at GMCs and found one, but I don't like IFS. If GM still had solid axles in their 2500HD/3500's I would have bought one instead. I could sell my truck and buy a GMC, but it is my first new truck and I am particularly attached to it. I am also very fond of the King Ranch interior and the ergonomics of the Ford. Don't get me wrong, GMCs are great trucks, I am not brand loyal. An American truck is an American product which is all that matters to me. The thing is, the truck drives wonderfully, it was designed to drive and handle this way, handles a trailer great. I have no complaints as far as this truck doing what I need it to. I could do the solid axle swap on a GMC and have everything, but I don't want to mess with factory geometry as far as steering, suspension, brakes, abs, all of those safety things. I don't want a tall lifted truck for towing and highway (I am probably going to have to point out that I wanted a solid axle for its strength and lower maintenance. yes unit-hubs are bad, but at least 2 companys make serviceable hub conversions for the Super Duty). The problem lies in me not trusting the motor in the Ford, I cannot afford to have a catastrophic failure 1500 miles from home. I suppose my best bet would be a Cummins/Allison, but I want something different.

Audiophile31
09-15-2007, 21:16
Suppose this isn't a popular thread.

More Power
09-15-2007, 22:16
Popular?

I'd say this thread would be very popular if you actually converted the truck to Duramax/Allison. The Ford guys would probably become the biggest percentage of visitors... but they might not like the conversion... They are a brand loyal group.... :rolleyes:

On the other hand, if the conversion was done well, and depending on where you live, I could say with 95% certainty that I could get it in one of the larger diesel pickup oriented magazines... ;) (I also write for the mags)

Jim

JeepSJ
09-16-2007, 12:14
What state are you in and do they have an emissions testing program for diesels? Is the F250 currently a diesel?

From my experience, the people that work at emissions inspection stations are not the brightest people. As long as you don't have any big flashing neon CHEVY signs under the hood, I doubt that the inspection station would know the difference. But, if their inspection consists of plugging into the ODBII port and running a diagnostic check, then you might have a problem.

If you are converting from gas, then that changes things. I had to go through that headache, and if it wasn't for a glaring loophole in the WA state DMV system, then things would not have gone quite so smoothly for me.

Audiophile31
09-21-2007, 22:23
well, i plan to have the swap starting soon, i take the truck off the road in October for the winter so ill no longer be relying on it daily. As long as i have the funds i expect to have, everything should be a go. I'm so sick of ford guys, they really are arrogant. i tried helping one guy who was swapping a 14BFF into the rear of his 78 highboy and he wanted to know the differences between one 14b and another, ex. van, c&c, pickup..., and so i gave my advice and then all the ford guys starting this huge fight about how the 14b's are crap. i dunno, it's crazy, i don't know how someone can be so brand loyal.

jeepsj, I'm guessing your signature has the truck you did the swap in, the 6.5 and the 350 are very similar and i know many people who do the swap the other way around with little to no problems. yes, my truck is currently a diesel, my first post explains the basics of everything i'm thinking and dealing with. see nj is bad in many ways, the swap isn't so much the issue, as far as legality goes, but the mfg'd date of the motor. if it is not at least built for the same emissions standards, if not newer, then the vehicle its going in it is illegal. i cant run a 7.3 for that reason. the state police have been cracking down hard on diesel pickups for meeting emissions standards as far as opacity and all equipment intact and functional. they do random road side traps and such, if you have an exhaust they might pull you over and search. i'm not sure what started this but its been problematic for a lot of people i know. basically i don't want hefty fines for making my truck more reliable, i just want a more reliable truck.