PDA

View Full Version : Complicated Saga 6.5 TD Won't Start

JD8450
11-29-2003, 19:24
This is a long story I'll try and make it short.

I joined this site to learn about my brother inlaws 6.5TD. I have done a lot of work on gas engines but no experience on diesels.

This is the story.

About six months ago he had the IP pump on his 1998 3500 replaced under the warranty.
It ran fine since then and then he had some coolant leaking/consumtion problems.He takes it to a local gasoline mechanic who replaces the water pump. A few days later the thing is still losing coolant, overheats and then won't start/run. Please note that this truck is driven by one of his employees so the actual story is hard to get. He brings it to a local truck diesel mech who pulls codes on his machine and says the thing is throwing all kinds of IP pump codes. We then take it to GMC who says no its not the IP it's the motor thats bad and he needs a new one, 10,000 dollars please. Well we get it home and now I'm starting to look at it and I notice that the crnak case is way over filled, I drain it and put in fresh new oil and now try to get it started. It will start after many attemps and runs with some kind of knock/misfire a lot of smoke and then stalls.

I know this is a long and hard to follow story. I was hoping there were some sugestions on where to start in trying to diagnose the exact problem.

Thanks

JD

dstoops
11-30-2003, 07:16
Well JD I cannot comment on why all those IP codes are coming up but the other symptoms indicate a blown head gasket possibly leading to a bent rod due to hydraulic lock. The high level in the c.case was due to coolant in the oil. If it's a high mileage motor I'd just "bite the bullet" and rebuild it...Great time to go to 18:1 pistons. That in fact is what I did 4 mo. ago.
Dean

'95 K 2500, +.030, 18:1, 97 cooling, BD chip, K+N, 4" exhaust by Pinnacle, Heath remote FSD is on the way.

JD8450
11-30-2003, 08:55
dstoops

Thanks for the reply.

I was thinking that I should at least pull the heads and oil pan while the engine is in the truck just to be sure. Could that knock be a cyclinder or two not firing or the compression jumping into another cyclinder that has its exhaust or intake valve open?

Agin thanks for the reply.

JD

Scooby
11-30-2003, 10:08
iT MIGHT BE FUEL IN THE OIL TOO !!Was it milky ?? (water ) or did it have a diesel fuel smell to it ?? Either way, it'll have to come out. I just try to find out exactly what happened before tearing one apart, so I dont put it back together with a hidden problem.
Thats my .02 worth.

ALSAIL
11-30-2003, 10:58
I had similar symptoms on my truck. Progressively harder to start and losing coolant. It turned out to be a cracked cylinder head that leaked coolant straight to one of the intake valves. One day the engine refused to turn over when I tried to start it. The problem became obvious when I pulled the glow plug from that cylinder and coolant came out. I replaced the head and it runs fine.