PDA

View Full Version : 6.5 Injector Pump install

Rob Smith
09-13-2007, 04:55
Any tips changing out my 6.5 Injector Pump on my 99 GMC Suburban 2500 4x4? I'm a Prototype Mechanic and I'm sure I can handle it, I'm just looking for any tips you Pros may have. Thanks!

moondoggie
09-13-2007, 05:54
Good Day!

It's real straightforward, shouldn't be a problem.

I'd make sure to verify that there are timing marks stamped on the IP & the part it bolts to; hopefully your replacement IP will also have a mark so you can line them up, which will probably be close enough so you can drive it somewhere to ge the timing-TDCO set where you want it.

Most folks remove the fuel lines at the back of the IP; I've only done NA 6.2s so far, but always took the lines off at the injectors. In this way, I avoided the REAL common mistake of crossing two of the lines on reinstall. Apparently it's REAL easy to do this - many fine DP mechanics have done this. I'd guess this might be impractical on your 99 - the passenger side (US) front lines are probably buried under the turbo. If so, just be REAL careful about getting the injector lines back on the right IP ports, eh? ;)

Good Luck & Blessings!

gmctd
09-13-2007, 07:11
Welcome to the 'Page, Rob Smith............

Do a search for member COWRACER - he detailed just such an event a while back, maybe even with pics

Robyn
09-13-2007, 08:03
Get the manifold off and plug the intake ports or use duct tape to cover them.
The lines can be removed in pairs from the engine. (keep the clamps in place that pair the lines up. Use some tape and mark the lines as to which cyls they came from and your set for an easy road back together.

The oil filler must be removed from the front of the cover (Pushes into the grommet)
This allows access to the bolts holding the gear to the IP. (3)

*** Note here*** Use BLUE loctite on these bolts when you reinstall them. If one falls out its GAME OVER

The IP has a pin that will index the gear so your set there. The gear will happily sit where it belongs until you reiinstall the PUMP.
Do not use the starter to turn the engine over while working with the pump gears, do it by hand.

Disconnect the batteries first.

The electrical stuff on the IP has all proprietary plugs so you cant mix them up.
***NOTE**** If the plugs on the IP harness are broken or have issues the harness is available from MA General but its about $250 (Ask me how I know this) :D

The fittings on the IP can be a bitch to get to a few so use a small 3/8 break bar and a crow foot to give you the wierd angle you need for the lower ones.
As was mentioned there are 2 that can be mixed up and this is a real PITA when the engine dont run right and you have it all back together.

If you have your IP rebuilt by a good pump shop you can simply reinstall and line up the marks you put on the flanges and your good to go.

If you use a sharp scribe line and line it back up your TDCO will be right there.

Remember cyls on LH side are 1357 and on RH side are 2468

Once you have the lines off cap the IP ports as well as the injector ports as it takes very little crap to screw things up.

Caplugs work great if you have them or if not some small pieces of sandwich bag plastic and a rubber band work well (Duct tape) :D

That stuff will fix anything. "Two Hundred mile per hour tape"

Here is a road map of the back of the IP
http://www.thedieselpageforums.com/tdpforum/showthread.php?t=28656

Good luck and we are here for you if you need us.

Robyn

Rob Smith
09-14-2007, 16:08
Much obliged.

Robyn
09-14-2007, 19:31
Any time at all.

Rob Smith
10-08-2007, 18:45
OK, I finally took the plunge and ordered the pump. I also ordered injectors (thought now is the best time for these). I started the tear-down and stopped before unbolting the pump from the gear. I realize now the adjustment in the pump. I see no marks on either pump.
My questions:
1. The Pump Gear seams a little hard to control. I'm a little worried about effectively reattaching the gear to the new pump (torqing and maintaining gear mesh alignment). (I guess 2 questions in 1) If I pull the waterpump and etc. I can expose the pump Gear and smoothly reattach (and maybe fight some grey hair)??? ...and should I consider and new water pump now ($99 130 GPM - simple and fairly cheap)?

2. Without marks on the pump am I in jeopardy of effecting injector timing by not clocking this pump correctly? ...and what's TDCO?

3. How do I search for COWRACER?

Thanks in advance!
Rob

gmctd
10-08-2007, 20:30
You could do a search, or click on his handle up there in sticky's....................