PDA

View Full Version : Smoking...

Mark Rinker
09-15-2007, 07:03
My 2004 C4500 has gotten 18K quick miles since purchasing it in May.

Recently, it has started smoking on initial acceleration, especially if it has sat idling before takeoff.

Doubling up on FPPF treatments this trip, hoping to clear up the smoke. Mileage and power are unchanged.

Any ideas? Only 39K on the odometer - how could it need injector work already???

JohnC
09-15-2007, 09:21
If it was gas I'd say the turbo is leaking oil into the intake manifold. don't know if the same applies to an engine with minimal intake vacuum.

carco
09-15-2007, 16:17
Do not know the answer but, gas or diesel the turbo may leak oil from the center cartridge to the intake and or exhaust side just as easily. I see diesel midrange engines leak either and sometimes both directions. If the leak is the intake side, the intake tubeing will be wet w/ engine oil. If too much oil lays in the air charge cooler and is "picked up" by high speed air volocities the engine may "run away" causeing catastrophic engine damage. Have personally witnessed this on an 8.3L Cummins. bob.......

redbird2
09-16-2007, 07:23
Mark just got my 03 4500 back Thursday was smoking at idle and when you first start to accelerate it was the injectors. I noticed this about 3 weeks ago set appointment for dealer to look at my have 126,000 on it. After running all there test on it was determined that the injector return rate was 45 time higher than spec if i remember correctly i was told the return rate is 1-3 % mine was returning at the rate of 45 -48 % this is the second set of injectors for this truck first at 33k now these was all covered under the extended gm service letter for injectors. I didn't think that the truck was losing power until I got it back Thursday i was wrong more acceleration

good luck

Mark Rinker
09-17-2007, 06:52
Hello from Kingston, Ontario

New fuel filter and 1200 miles of doubled dosed fuel appears to have cleared up the problem. No oil dilution. Must have gotten a bad tank of fuel.

More updates after more miles...

mark45678
09-18-2007, 13:57
Hello from Kingston, Ontario

New fuel filter and 1200 miles of doubled dosed fuel appears to have cleared up the problem. No oil dilution. Must have gotten a bad tank of fuel.

More updates after more miles...

My LBZ does the same thing if it idles for more then 10 min its going to smoke some when I put the spurs to it for the first time after idleing.

Mark Rinker
09-20-2007, 19:00
Not out of the woods yet.

Yesterday morning, after about 10 minutes idling while refueling, left a CLOUD of nasty, bluish, cold unburned diesel smoke that hung in the air while leaving the fuel station.

That was the only time that day. Nothing visible under load. I'm towing a tall cabin cruiser and GCVW is north of 30K#. MPG constant at 8. No oil dilution apparent.

At idle, there is some fuel smell and wisps of smoke, but nothing horrible. Its like unburned fuel is pooling in the muffler and burning on initial acceleration.

Going into the shop for diagnostic check when home. Thats about 3,000 miles from now...

DmaxMaverick
09-20-2007, 19:01
Injector(s).

Mark Rinker
09-20-2007, 19:04
Yup. 40K miles. What a bummer.

DmaxMaverick
09-20-2007, 19:09
I can relate. Mine's doing exactly the same thing, and they have a little over 40K on them. Thing is, they were replaced about the time yours was born. No biggie. I have 1.5 months left on the injector warranty, and holding out to the 11th hour. With my luck, there will be an "improved" version 2 days after my warranty is up. It's not hurting anything running it for a little while (no towing, for now), and I don't like mosquitos, anyway.

Mark Rinker
09-21-2007, 18:24
Today thing seemed a little better. Have about 2500 miles into this major trip (Minneapolis, Kingston ON, Vernon BC, Minneapolis) and I hope it isn't doing damage to run it. Like I said, no smoke under power. Not much at idle, one cloud after idling.

I've been shutting it off in situations where I used to let it run, in hopes of keeping too much raw fuel from washing the cylinders and diluting the oil.

~8 mpg with 40 gallons of capacity is tiresome. Plans for this winter includes another 40 gallons of capacity onboard. I don't mind fueling, ya gotta stop and pee sometime anyway, but every ~280 miles is rediculous!

MaxACL
09-23-2007, 12:48
Mark,

I feel your pain. Look at the posting that go in in just a minute re: "Injectors Again"

Mike

PS You do a lot of hauling. Got a minute for some questions about "numbers", insurance, etc?

My cell: 936 591-5953

Mark Rinker
09-25-2007, 04:37
Update and greetings, Midway BC, Canada!

I am delivering the boat today to Vernon, BC and headed to Seattle to join my wife who is there for work.

Have made an appointment at the local Chevrolet dealer, will likely have a set of injectors installed before I head home with truck/trailer.

Yours truly is flying back to Minneapolis for a week - waiting on another big boat to come along needing a ride back to the Great Lakes region....