PDA

View Full Version : AM General's New 6.5L Turbodiesel

6.5NOVA
09-16-2007, 04:58
Is there already some more info about AM General's New 6.5L Turbodiesel??

HH
09-16-2007, 05:10
Look no further than here at the Diesel Page feature article (http://www.thedieselpage.com/features/AMGsnew65.htm).

Dakster
09-16-2007, 06:31
Alright. Stupid question coming...

Why isn't the current duramax, durable enough to use??

The new 6.5 has 250 HP, while the current DMAX has 365... I know there is a valid reason... Just waiting for someone to please tell me.

6.5NOVA
09-16-2007, 06:41
- i have already read that artickle, maby there is some more news out..

i- think the 6.5 is cheaper...

AndyL
09-16-2007, 08:56
Probably cause they are still mechanical. IIRC the Military doesn't use the DS4 pumps?

DmaxMaverick
09-16-2007, 11:26
Alright. Stupid question coming...

Why isn't the current duramax, durable enough to use??

The new 6.5 has 250 HP, while the current DMAX has 365... I know there is a valid reason... Just waiting for someone to please tell me.

Too complicated. Too many parts. Too much electronics. AndyL is correct, too.

It would be against the reason they went with 6.5L in the first place.

Robyn
09-16-2007, 12:22
I will add my 2 cents worth here just to add dramatic effect. :D

75 miles from Nowhere over in the sandbox and the temp is 120 in the shade and the electronics overheat and develop issues and the Humvee you are drivng grinds to a halt. :(

Next thing that happens is 50 insurgents decend on your butt like a bad smell. :eek:

Electronics are fine for making EPA quotas on emissions but the overall package is just far too much for mechanics that have poor conditions to work in at best to deal with let alone reliabilty in some of the harshest environments on the planet.

The good old DB2 pump with good filters will run fine and make plenty of reliable power and do it all day long come hell or high water.

I can remember coming over the mountains in near zero weather with the DS4 out front doing the job and really feeling scantily clad as far as my comfort zone went.

In a war zone, What would be a simple anoyance and call to AAA for us could be a death sentence for a Humvee loaded with troops.

The 6.5 is clearly the best choice for reliability and maintenance.

No other explanation needed :)

My highest regards to the men and women that go in harms way to
protect freedom.

I need not say more

Robyn

spiff
09-16-2007, 20:56
Remember the principle opponent when the Hummer was put into service was the USSR, which came complete with weapons designed to produce large amounts of EMP, which is death on solid state devices. Ergo, lets not go out of our way to make the vehicle more vunerable to EMP. The typical Soviet tank radios were still tube types, which made repair from EMP as easy as putting in a new set of tubes in most cases. Sometimes KISS is the best way.

Lloyd