PDA

View Full Version : Way too much oil is back

Red-eyed Duramax
09-16-2007, 06:55
Hey everybody. I am the one that took my 06 to a oil change service center and they put to much oil in the engine back in May. Well not sure where to start. Dealer said they had put in between 25 to 30 qts of oil. Which filled every opening in the engine including the air cleaner which drew the oil into the cylinders. That made the engine runaway. Dealer said that the computer tells everything from being loaded on a flat bed tow truck, running @ 6800 rpms for 32 seconds, (tack only goes to 5000), That I tried to start it 23 times after it quit, and what time of day it was when it happened. Every push rod, 5 valve stems were bent. Hole in #3 piston. Turbo smoked beyond belief. Air filter so saturated with oil, it left a huge puddle on the floor of the shop. Dealer replaced engine @ 14000.00 w/ labor. Kid does not work there no more. Too make a long story longer. I have learned my lesson about going to these places and not the dealer. Or next time I won't be so lazy and do it myself. Thanks for the help.

DarylB
09-16-2007, 14:40
Wow 30 quarts? Let me guess - the guy was narcoleptic & fell asleep when he was putting the oil in there with a gun :)

Dakster
09-16-2007, 15:32
I hope the shop paid for the motor without a hassle.

BTW, I didn't know that our trucks had a tow truck sensor... How did the trucks computer know it was a flat bed vs. a regular tow truck?

Red-eyed Duramax
09-17-2007, 05:35
Don't know if it could tell the difference between the 2 tow trucks. Unless the flat bed tilts alot more than the one that hangs out the back

cowboywildbill
09-18-2007, 04:08
Maybe the kid was sick and missed his training class on fill capacities and how to count quarts. Of course you could have gotten the kid that was sick the day they learned how to tighten the drain plugs back, that is another common problem in some of those places. LOL.
I have only been to one of those quicky iffy lube places once. We were on a trip and the car needed it's first oil change at 3,000 miles. I told them just change the oil and filter and don't touch anything else. Next thing I know the kid tears off the air box and hoses trying to get at the air filter and they tell me I should have a tranny service and rear end lube change and a new air filter and pvc valve. Needless to say I went ballistic. I said the car is only a month and a half old. They said OH! Then they left a hose disconected, I had to find it and connect it back myself. car wouldn'd idle right, vacum leak. Go figure.
I learned a lesson. Of course I was sick the day we had spelling & grammar class. LOL

SoTxPollock
09-18-2007, 10:42
Unbelievable, REDEyed Duramax, I guess you hold the record for the most rpm ever recorded by a stock duramax engine, Hmmmm, lasted for 32 seconds. Sounds to me like duramax will be king of the drag strip before too long.
I hope you can laugh at it now, but I know I would have been ballistic when I found out about what happened, thanks for reminding me why I always won't let anyone lift my hood, been that way since I was a teen ager, when they had full service stations. I wouldn't let anyone even check the oil, heard too many stories of things gone bad, this is another.
Sure hope it runs ok now.

cowboywildbill
09-20-2007, 09:41
Just curious, how much did they charge you for the oil change? Cause they must have used about $100.00 in oil if it was syn.

carco
09-23-2007, 06:00
We have a person who owns several, (6 or7), jiffy lubes around the area, he says they replace on average 1 engine per month due to screw ups!!
My shop loses money on oil changes to be competitive, but they are done correctly and in 23 years not lost one engine nor had a loose oil drain plug.
Find a good indy shop and stick to them. Find an ACDelco TSS shop, we have GM info available as quick as the dealer if we want, and we have some of the same classes, plus classes on Chy, Ford, Isu, Toy, and Honda.
GM is the only OEM smart enough to step up w/ a program to help the indy, only one brand to recommend, only one company wants their vehicles fixed correctly after warranty expires, only one company realizes 78% of owners do not visit the dealer after warranty expires. bob..................

jbplock
09-23-2007, 06:40
... Find an ACDelco TSS shop, we have GM info available as quick as the dealer if we want, and we have some of the same classes, plus classes .... GM is the only OEM smart enough to step up w/ a program to help the indy, only one brand to recommend, only one company wants their vehicles fixed correctly after warranty expires, only one company realizes 78% of owners do not visit the dealer after warranty expires. bob..................

Great insight Bob! .. with more and more Dmax's coming out of warranty this seems like a market opportunity for independent Diesel Techs trained on the Duramax ... is there a directory of GM affiliated indpendents?

carco
09-23-2007, 07:24
You can try www.ACDelco.com and enter your zip code in the search area. The problem is this also brings up chain shops for exhaust, brakes and oil that use Delco parts or credit card services or any of many GM-Delco business services offered, but may or may not use the training. HTH bob......................

MaxACL
09-23-2007, 12:38
I don't mind going to Jiffy Lube or some of the other places but they understand I will be next to the person doing the work, if for nothing else then just to ask questions and watch.

Mike

JoeyD
09-23-2007, 18:36
Maybe the kid wrked at a gas station before and was just topping it off