PDA

View Full Version : upgrades/results

daustin
09-17-2007, 07:06
Well i finally got my upgrades completed and took a short test drive. I went from a GM-3 to a GM-8 turbo, installed a 3" downpipe, upgraded crossover pipe, new injectors, glow plugs, fuel heater/filter/water sensor, replaced all fuel hoses anywhere near/on the motor, '97 style airbox, fabbed another turbomaster for the GM-8, pyro/boost/trans gauges, flushed coolant/cleaned radiator, upper/lower radiator hoses, new heater hoses, thermostat, lightly ported upper intake. Thing sounded god-awfull when i first started it but after a few minutes it was close to sounding normal. Took it for a short test drive, didn't really punch it but eased into it and i had 8-9 psi boost rather quickly at about 1500 rpm. I'll have to adjust my TM a little, i think it's a little tight. Very little smoke out the back and the pyro never budged above 500 deg. After fueling it up, and driving it back to the house (round trip total of maybe 10 miles) it still idled a little rough but overall i'm very happy with the results. A great big THANKS to everyone on here for the advice, help and information!!!
I just thought i'd post an "after" for my mods. I'll drive it some more, then post with the final results and pics.
Don

93GMCSierra
09-17-2007, 09:44
I also have a 93, with GM-3 and was wondering, did you have problems with the electric or vacuum on the newer turbo?
As mine is all mechanical an I have no vacuum pump either. I have been told in my truck the computer is only running my gauges.

daustin
09-17-2007, 13:54
I gutted the vacumn canister and made it into a spring operated wastegate. Easy to do, before i changed from the GM-3 to the GM-8 i did something similar to that on the -3. Easy bolt-on swap for those. The '92-93 has the 4911 mechanical IP, so no pesky PMD or wierd electronics on the IP. :D
I did a bunch of things at one time, best thing i did was the GM-8/3" downpipe and guages for pyro, boost & trans temp.
Don

93GMCSierra
09-18-2007, 14:56
I installed a boost gauge, the EGT is ordered, as they didn't have any on hand,
I added a spring in addition to the stock wastegate spring giving me a total of 8-9 PSI of boost I found a intercooler I plan to custom fit and I am looking at a new exhaust system so hopefully for a start those will be good.

daustin
09-18-2007, 18:31
Sounds like a good start, get the 3" mandrell bend downpipe when you do the exhaust - highly reccomended. Intercooler is next on my list, after a A/C fix. :o On the '92-93 the computer runs the gauges and auto trans shifting. If you have the 4L80E auto, add an aux trans cooler after the radiator cooler if you don't already have one.
Don