PDA

View Full Version : Battery Tender and Two Batteries on the Duramax

NutNbutGMC
09-17-2007, 18:55
I bought several Battery Tenders for the upcoming winter layup periods ( http://www.batterytender.com/ )

One for the tractor, one for the boat, and one for the truck. What a relief to not have to crank the machines anymore to turn the battery over. I have procrastinated for years over this product. Found them at a distributor (referred to by the company that is linked) at US$15 less for each component.

My question is this (after searching the forum for this specific issue);

How are the two batteries wired,..... Parallel?
And if so, may one place the jumper clips onto the central terminal block that connects the two batteries under the hood?

Does anyone use this product?

DmaxMaverick
09-17-2007, 22:39
They are direct parallel, with no disconnect or interuption. Nothing hidden there. The jump start terminal would be a good place to tap into them.

trbankii
09-18-2007, 08:21
From the BatteryTender website: http://batterytender.com/faqs.php/?osCsid=4d20d68f46b2abf6d87ec0876f46a246#14

FAQs #14 and #15 explain it all in more detail than I could give. ;)

NutNbutGMC
09-18-2007, 14:39
They are direct parallel, with no disconnect or interuption. Nothing hidden there. The jump start terminal would be a good place to tap into them.

From the BatteryTender website: http://batterytender.com/faqs.php/?osCsid=4d20d68f46b2abf6d87ec0876f46a246#14

FAQs #14 and #15 explain it all in more detail than I could give. ;)Thank you and thank you.

Dmax, notice I used the multiple quote feature. :D

One of the gadgets of the 3.6.X vB format. Good job.

Craig M
09-18-2007, 16:56
Care to tell us who your distributor is. $15 is a good price!

NutNbutGMC
09-18-2007, 17:06
Care to tell us who your distributor is. $15 is a good price!
I saved $15 on each unit. The web site home sells them for $60 suggested retail. I called the place and they referred me to one of their distributors in Virginia (nearest to me by zip code), whom buys and sell in quantities. I took three of them at $45 each.

I am not lazy to post the info, and I didn't see a distributor locator on the web site. I have already recycled the paperwork bill of sales, etc..... A quick call to the corporate office and they will hook you up.

I tell ya, It's nice to look out in the garage on my boats (glancing at the indicator lights on these units) and see that the batteries are being tended perfectly.

I don't drive my truck daily so I wanted something to take care of the batteries. I'll swap to Optimas as soon as someone else in the family needs a new OEM battery from my truck. A short lead line that comes out the grill will accommodate the unit when I need to drive the truck. No need to raise the hood everytime.

Dawg
09-18-2007, 19:08
This is off topic, but looks like a good place to mention since we are on the subject of trucks sitting for an extended period of time....

I tow like hec for the summer months (3), used less frequently thru the fall for hunting, and very rarely in the winter/spring months except for the rare snow/ice. (I have a company vehicle)

Long story short, I changed my fuel filter this summer after it reached 10,000 miles. The problem is it took about a year to get those 10,000 miles as well as sitting most of the winter. When I changed the fuel filter, the bottom of the filter had a thick coating of rust. Big loose chunks in fact. It was an AC Delco filter. I have to imagine that the water sat at the bottom of the fuel filter and rusted it out. I cut the filter open with a reciprocating saw. The filter looks like it did a good job and stopped the debris before it got into the fuel sytem. I towed several long trips before changing the filter and finding the rust.

If your truck sits for any length of time, change the fuel filter regardless of how many miles. It is tough for any vehicle to sit, just be very aware of your fuel filter.

trbankii
09-19-2007, 09:15
I agree with Dawg wholeheartedly. Used to be that you heard more of xxx miles or xxx months of service. Must be that people generally drive so much anymore that the "months" service rates has fallen by the wayside.

Mark Rinker
09-20-2007, 19:09
I had my 6.5 plow trucks set up with onboard tenders that 'top off' the batteries while the trucks are plugged in for block heat.

Makes for nice starts and longer battery life - they take a pounding from the plow motor, and its not nice to leave them half charged when you shut down after plowing.

Seems to have solved the battery problems that plagued us in the early years. Haven't done the DMaxes yet, it seems like the electrical system in general is better, and cold starts don't seem to be as much of a problem.