PDA

View Full Version : Anyone install Holeset Turbo????

quickv6
09-18-2007, 15:24
I am going to install a Holset HX35W turbo from a 5.9 cummins. The compresser and exhaust wheel are much larger than the GM-8 thats on my truck. Anyone use this turbo before? Also is there anyway stop my SES from coming on do to hi boost?

quickv6
09-19-2007, 04:54
No One has ever used anything other than the GM-8??? That turbo back pressure is 3 time boost pressure larger turbo should be sweet. Any ideas, thoughts, comments anything?

Cowracer
09-19-2007, 06:07
No One has ever used anything other than the GM-8??? That turbo back pressure is 3 time boost pressure larger turbo should be sweet. Any ideas, thoughts, comments anything?

A guy on the other board used a HX35 with very good results. I am thinking of moving that way myself.

Tim

quickv6
09-19-2007, 16:33
The holeset looks like a much better setup. The only issue I see is the piping for the filter. You are real close to the battery for a 4" inlet. The one I have is from 99 cummins 6bt from F600 ford.

JeepSJ
09-19-2007, 22:14
Use the search function. That turbo has been discussed several times here.

More Power
09-20-2007, 09:57
I'm surprised no one has mentioned trying a Duramax LB7 turbocharger. It's wastegated at 20-psi and the Duramax is only .1L larger than a 6.5.

I'd want 18:1 pistons if attempting to run above 15 psi....

We never got around to testing it, but Gale Banks told me back in the late 90's that their wastegated turbo they include in their 7.3L IDI kit should work well on a 6.5.

Jim

john8662
09-20-2007, 20:55
Yes, the Holset turbo has been loaded up on a few 6.5L's.

I personally own two 6.5's that have or have had a certain variety of a Holset turbo with some great results, one of which performs great at the local dragstrip, and is increasing in speed each time (more mods).

As for the Duramax turbo, that wouldn't make a very good addition in the stock form of the turbo, mainly due to the way in which you'd have to mount the turbo.

Many Holset turbo's can be adapted easily primarily due to the fact that they are available in a T-3 form factor inlet, which is the same as what a 6.5L turbo manifold uses.

HX-35's work, some here run one. This turbo is a bit of a PITA to get positioned on the engine, primarily due to the compressor housing clamp on the back.

But, as mentioned, anything above 15psi is in a danger zone for the 6.5L in stock c/r.

A Charge air cooler plus a variety of the Holset, even an HY-35 would make the engine perform better.

J

JeepSJ
09-20-2007, 21:37
I'm surprised no one has mentioned trying a Duramax LB7 turbocharger. It's wastegated at 20-psi and the Duramax is only .1L larger than a 6.5.

I'd want 18:1 pistons if attempting to run above 15 psi....

We never got around to testing it, but Gale Banks told me back in the late 90's that their wastegated turbo they include in their 7.3L IDI kit should work well on a 6.5.

Jim

That would be the MHI TE06H. I'm happy with it so far.

quickv6
09-21-2007, 04:43
Yes, the Holset turbo has been loaded up on a few 6.5L's.

I personally own two 6.5's that have or have had a certain variety of a Holset turbo with some great results, one of which performs great at the local dragstrip, and is increasing in speed each time (more mods).

As for the Duramax turbo, that wouldn't make a very good addition in the stock form of the turbo, mainly due to the way in which you'd have to mount the turbo.

Many Holset turbo's can be adapted easily primarily due to the fact that they are available in a T-3 form factor inlet, which is the same as what a 6.5L turbo manifold uses.

HX-35's work, some here run one. This turbo is a bit of a PITA to get positioned on the engine, primarily due to the compressor housing clamp on the back.

But, as mentioned, anything above 15psi is in a danger zone for the 6.5L in stock c/r.

A Charge air cooler plus a variety of the Holset, even an HY-35 would make the engine perform better.

J

Thanks for the info. I knew there was something better than the GM-8. That turbo is so bad. I see many people like them but back pressure is so Hi with that turbo the cylinder pressure should be threw the roof even with 18-1 engine. You cant continue to put in boost if you can get it out of the engine.

More Power
09-21-2007, 10:02
I see many people like them but back pressure is so Hi with that turbo the cylinder pressure should be threw the roof even with 18-1 engine. You cant continue to put in boost if you can get it out of the engine.

That's why I've been telling folks for nearly ten years not to run above 12 psi boost pressure (with an intercooler, 10 without an IC). Running the GM turbos above 12 produces much too much drive pressure (exhaust backpressure).

Our 6.5 Project would produce faster 0-60's when boost was limited to 12 than when run at 15.

Jim

93GMCSierra
09-21-2007, 12:15
I was wondering about that design myself, as the butterfly valve I was looking at on my GM-3 would create alot of back pressure without giving nearly the amount of boost. I had assumed from the way people were speaking about the GM-8 that they had improved that design but apparently not.

john8662
09-21-2007, 12:27
The GM 5 and GM 8 turbo's are an improvement over the previous GM 1, 3, 4.

This was accomplished by a smoother turndown connecting to the downpipe and a slightly larger A/R ratio on the turbine housing.

J

hayhauler69
09-21-2007, 15:36
So John,
So should I feel OK about getting a GM8 Turbo? Got the one from a fella selling on ebay who post here, JKAuto.
I'm not planning on anything extravagant, she's a daily driver and barkdust hauler.
I'm just looking for mild upgrades to make it run a little better.
I have the stock exhaust, but it's straight through. You think that a larger exhaust would 'really' make that much difference?
Good thread, thanks, Buzz

quickv6
09-21-2007, 16:18
This Holeset is not a drop on turbo. Making a DP will be a PIA and the 4" inlet will be no picnic. GM8 has worked good on my truck for 200,000 miles but I know there is better out there.

john8662
09-22-2007, 21:54
So John,
So should I feel OK about getting a GM8 Turbo? You think that a larger exhaust would 'really' make that much difference?

It's all experimentation, so install the GM8 and see if you see a difference, I think you should feel good with the upgrade.

A larger exhaust can help, but if you've removed the majority of the restrictions, like the CAT and muffler, then upgrading to a larger exhaust will net you very little in the "seat of your pants" feeling.

J

hayhauler69
09-24-2007, 06:41
Thanks,
That what I figured too.