PDA

View Full Version : 6.5L Turbo Diesel - "TURBO POWER" Plastic Engine Cover

Jochen Woern
09-19-2007, 06:19
Hello All,

- Will it help to keep the engine cooler if one removes the "TURBO POWER" Plastic Engine Cover?
I have heard this from numerous guys driving 6.5's here in the area, but have never read about it on our site here.

- Is it recommended to remove the cover or to definitely leave it on?

I decided to ask the "PRO's" out there.

Thansk in advance.

AndyL
09-19-2007, 10:28
I screwed mine to the garage wall!

Get rid of it, helps to keep the PMD cool. Then you don't have to keep removing it to change the fuel filter.

DennisG01
09-19-2007, 10:38
Yup, it's just an aesthetic thing.

93GMCSierra
09-19-2007, 17:47
What about this, in the colder climate in the winter will it help keep your fuel filter from gelling?

AndyL
09-19-2007, 18:17
What about this, in the colder climate in the winter will it help keep your fuel filter from gelling?

Not IMO. My truck has started and ran fine in -15F weather. If it was so cold you needed the cover to keep the fuel from gelling, you'd never get it started!

93GMCSierra
09-19-2007, 18:42
Ok thank you, I was curious about that because that thing holds so much heat in.

Doug Thom
09-20-2007, 10:38
My 1995 was purchased new and the first thing their top diesel tech told me was to get rid of the cover. I currently have 277000 km's on the truck with one pump changed at about 125000 km BUT recently have had sudden stalling problems. I just had the "driver" changed out with a cooler and over the past week have not had the stalling problem. We'll see if this lasts. I contacted Stanadyne for advice and was told that the problem was not likely the driver AND they do not warranty a new driver if a cooler is installed! The other thing I'll mention is that I still have all the original injectors and wondered how long these last? Hope this helps.
Doug

tommac95
10-11-2007, 18:51
Jochen- I have read in posts on this forum by reputable responders that there is some positive value in the cover , but most of us remove it (i did).

Doug-
>I still have all the original injectors and wondered how long these last?
It depends on how clean is the fuel , how well-lubricated , etc; a rule-of-thumb is to renew after 100K miles.
First assure the fuel filtration is more than adequate , then install injectors with great care to keep the injector lines absolutely clean (inside).

Jochen Woern
10-11-2007, 22:16
Thanks Tom.

Now what value would this cover have? I removed mine as well and just can not see for what reason (other then looks) this cover was installed in the first place?

94 at Large
10-12-2007, 07:03
Perfect mounting place for my OPS bypass from Kennedy.

DmaxMaverick
10-12-2007, 08:00
Jochen- I have read in posts on this forum by reputable responders that there is some positive value in the cover......

I'm curious where you read this. The cover is decorative, and perhaps protective against falling sky parts (provided you've lost your hood), but should have been tossed along with the plastic seat covers and paper floor mats when the truck was first sold.

The only positive value I can imagine is on Ebay, to someone thinking he needs it because he doesn't know any different. You may have read the effects of the cover are benign, but I don't recall any positive value stated.

DennisG01
10-12-2007, 08:28
I'm curious where you read this.

Me, too. The only other *possible* plus to this cover could be that it helps to reduce noise - but even that is stretching it. The reality is (as stated many times) that there are no benefits.

Robyn
10-12-2007, 08:37
The cover makes a great wall ornament in the garage, right alongside your collection of odd license plates and wierd hubcaps.

GM did it totally as an esthetic thing to give the top of the engine a finished look.

Nuff said

Robyn

trbankii
10-12-2007, 10:37
The only positive value I can imagine is on Ebay,

And I am amazed at what some people are asking for them! I'd try to sell mine if I could get that much for it, but it was already gone when I bought the truck... :D

DmaxMaverick
10-12-2007, 10:50
I couldn't, in good conscience, sell one on Ebay. Just like snake oil, it would be selling (or trying to) something to someone you know they don't need, but convince them they do. There's enough scams around the 'net these days. I (we) don't need to add to them. Money is nice, but at what price?

enforcer233
10-13-2007, 06:31
One man's junk is another man's treasure.

Perhaps those who buy one on EBay want to have one for a wall ornament in their garage.

Some perhaps like the finished look it gives the engine and do not care if it serves a purpose or not.

Some may have bought a 6.5 truck or suburban that did not have one and simply want one because it was there from the factory.

All things said this is a free market society and as Barnum said "There's a sucker born every day". If someone wants to buy mine and is willing to pay for it, I'll sell it. It does not matter to me what they do with it once they have it.

I would probably say something in the listing to the effect that this product serves no purpose just to make my conscious feel better. If they are too stupid to research what they drive to know that it is of no purpose; shame on them, not me.

cshade
10-14-2007, 01:13
Feeble attempt by GM to do what German manufacturers are now doing: hiding the engine. Seriously, have any of you seen the engine bay of a GTI? It looks like someone lost their luggage and the airport hid it in a car!

93GMCSierra
10-14-2007, 13:33
yes I agree the cover on the Volkswagons are crazy.