PDA

View Full Version : Can I fix the clearcoat on wheels?

Chris611
04-10-2005, 14:57
I have American Racing Aluminum wheels and the clearcoat is starting to peel and causing what looks like a white stain between the clear and the Al wheel. Its mostly around the bolt patter and center of the wheel. Is there any way to fix or strip the wheels? Wheels are about 4 years old.

Thanks
Chris

diesel joe
04-11-2005, 14:39
A few years ago I bought 4 aluminum wheels from a wrecking yard, that had been near a fire and blistered the clear coat.I bought some good paint stripper which took off all of the clear coat and did not hurt the aluminum. Then used some fine steel wool to clean up any blemishes and bought a rattle can of clear coat at the auto parts store.They turned out great. Be sure to have plenty of ventilation and wear gloves and face mask. Hope this helps.

JohnC
04-12-2005, 05:51
The white stuff is aluminum oxide, corrosion if you wil. As mentioned above, the fix is to strip them, clean it off and recoat them. I'd stay away from steel wool, though. Little bits of steel can break off and get imbedded in thealuminum which will cause corrosion in the future. Better to use aluminum oxide sand paper.

Chris611
04-12-2005, 07:15
Do I have to take all the clearcoat off or is there a way to only removed the clear coat in the affected areas? Also, if I have to remove all of it, I would assume I have to dismount the tire?

Thanks
Chris

rugger
04-12-2005, 07:53
Originally posted by Chris611:
Do I have to take all the clearcoat off or is there a way to only removed the clear coat in the affected areas? Also, if I have to remove all of it, I would assume I have to dismount the tire?

Thanks
Chris The best way to do them, is to strip the entire wheel. I have seen people recoat the clear but it never looks right and peels shortly after. Brake dust and midwest weather plays hell on aluminum wheels. I haven't personally used it but, I have heard good things about POR15's wheel restoration kit. Hope this helps.....no matter what ou use to clear coat with surface prep is the key.

cheers,
erik

[ 04-12-2005, 08:03 AM: Message edited by: rugger ]