PDA

View Full Version : New FSD on the Market

Stratosurfer
09-22-2007, 05:31
All,
I was perusing EBay and found a new FSD/PMD design for sale. I have no Idea who designed it nor anything much beyond the ad on Ebay. I followed the links in the auction to the company marketing the unit and found no data whatsoever.
Does anyone have any background data on this unit?
Is it an improved Stanadyne-based unit?
Has Stanadyne lost thier patent on these ill-designed units?
Is Stanadyne trying to avoid a class-action lawsuit from the members on this page with this new offering?? (LOL)
Sorry, had to throw that in.
It can be seen on EBay at:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=016&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=260160027266&rd=1

Sold as a 'New Improved 6.5 Black Box Driver.'
I just happen to be in the market for one currently and am maneuvering delicately through the minefield here in trying to solve my PMD problem for good on my Burb. The Tahoe with the bumper mounted heat sync and fresh FSD is solid, but the Burb with it's formerly engine mounted FSD cooler is stalling and the vendor is; well, shall we say 'unqualified' to be in his business IMHO.. Don't get me going.

If anyone has any data on this unit please post it up. It's price is very comparable to a new Stanadyne FSD.
I'm listening.

Turbine Doc
09-22-2007, 05:59
We've been talking about it on Place, I got a buddy that has tried one so far it's working, but it gets hotter faster 230F than the Stanadyne one does under a similar off IP test he has done before on a test stand, at least they have a 1yr warranty.

Cautious optimism was consensus on Place, we hoped great things about SOL-D also, I wonder if 1st one dies in yr one or how many times will the replace it, say 1st lasts 10 months, is 2nd driver only then warranted 2 months ???

I asked Dipaco about warranty for more than a year in the thread, nope 1 yr only; and more or less implied I should be elated about that since it was an electronic part & NOBODY warrants electronic parts.

Except Heath for 7 years, they sort of stopped replying, said that he was just a sales guy for Dipaco himself not up on the technical stuff, and would have their technical guy add more comment later, we haven't seen the tech gut yet, but we are still hoping for technical input.

Same friend tried the one I mention above seem to think from discussions his shop had with Dipaco; 1st ones will mostly go to shops & not available to general public for a while so may be a backlog down the road

timwagner6
09-22-2007, 20:31
Stratosurfer - Hi!

I've also been running one on our shop truck for awhile, and so far am very happy. As mentioned in another response, the unit is not made by Stanadyne, but is an aftermarket improvement. To give you a few details, the electronic components are rated at 125 C vs 85 c in the original, improved potting material, better transistor mounting, and thicker heat sink. Let me know if you have any other questions and I'll answer as best I can (e-mail is the quickest contact method.)

Tim

Kennedy
09-25-2007, 08:18
I'm approaching thing with cautious optimism (like the SOL-D) myself, not willing to risk my reputation over something so new. So far all we've seen is the same old 125 C vs 85 C, better potting, thicker heat sink claims direct from the brochure. There's really been no test data presented other than reprinted data from Beta showing the original unit. We won't know anything about longevity until at least 1-5 years down the road. The big plus that I see is a lower cost and hopefully this will wake up Stanadyne...

That said, I do some here and ready to go if anyone is interested in being a guinnea pig. No PM's please.

arveetek
09-25-2007, 13:43
That said, I do some here and ready to go if anyone is interested in being a guinnea pig. No PM's please.

I wouldn't mind using my '95 for a test vehicle. I haven't had any problems out of my Stanadyne unit mounted on a remote cooler for the past 2 years, so that ought to serve as a good base line.

I wouldn't offer my Tahoe if my wife was still driving it, but now it's my daily driver, and I don't mind taking the risk of a few stalls....

I'm interested in seeing how these new units react to cold weather.....(thinking of SOL-D's hard cold starts).

Casey

kaylabryn
09-25-2007, 16:31
I would like to give it a try, what do you get on those "New" units? I would like to see it in the stock location to really see how it survives.