PDA

View Full Version : After Market/Homemade Hydroboost Lines

Stratosurfer
09-22-2007, 10:09
All,
One of my hydroboost lines has begun to leak-again. Replaced one or more of them about 2 years ago and now at least one is leaking again. I'm hoping to make up some from some Aeroquip or Earl's AN fittings and stainless braided hose.
Has anyone done this and if so would you mind telling me the AN thread sizes on the ends:
Pump to Hydroboost
Hydroboost to Steering Box
Steering Box to Pump

Thanks

DmaxMaverick
09-22-2007, 10:29
Nothing wrong with that. Good idea.

While the SS braid looks good (as long as it's clean), an abrasion resistant non-metallic braid (like Aeroquip med. pressure) would be better. You don't have to polish it, and stray strands don't bite. Under the hood, it can get real dirty/grimy, and it doesn't take much abrasion to fray the SS braids. Fittings install easier, and it's about 1/2 the price.

Stratosurfer
09-22-2007, 10:38
Nothing wrong with that. Good idea.

While the SS braid looks good (as long as it's clean), an abrasion resistant non-metallic braid (like Aeroquip med. pressure) would be better. You don't have to polish it, and stray strands don't bite. Under the hood, it can get real dirty/grimy, and it doesn't take much abrasion to fray the SS braids. Fittings install easier, and it's about 1/2 the price.

My plan is to wrap whatever hose I use in some of that plastic wire loom material anyhow, mine are all currently wrapped as such (stock?) from the factory. This would probably keep the frayed ends from happening and causing probs if they did happen.
I don't want the SS Braid for looks, I just want the leaks gone and something less than the $100 the General charges for these single lines.

DmaxMaverick
09-22-2007, 10:48
Either would be fine, then. I'd still go with the fabric braid. Much cheaper and easier to work with. Many times, it's difficult to get a leak free fit on the fittings, especially with Teflon/SS. SS/rubber isn't as bad. Without the mandrels and install tools, they can be a real PITA. Tight bends are also easier with the fabric braid. If you aren't going to look at it, there's no reason to use SS. It isn't any longer lasting than fabric, and less in many cases. If you don't care about cost and convenience, use SS.

JeepSJ
09-22-2007, 18:45
When I plumbed up my system I used parts from here - http://www.hydratechbraking.com/

Their service and support was top notch. I made the lines from the pump to the booster and from the booster to the steering box.