PDA

View Full Version : PMD/FSD Resistor's

enforcer233
09-22-2007, 19:37
I have been reading the posts here for a while and I am looking at buying a PMD/FSD just to keep on hand because it seems that most of you recommend it. I am also looking at a heat sink remount. However I am not a diesel mechanic and when I look at used PMD,FSD's I occssionally see different resistors that may or may not come with the PMD/FSD.

What do the resistors do?

What is the difference in the resistors, ie. 5, 7, 9?

Where do they mount in relation to the PMD/FSD, inside the plug in?

Should I make sure that when I buy a PMD/FSD that it has one with it for the remount or buy one separately if neccessary?

Thanks

More Power
09-23-2007, 00:08
You can read all about the resistors here:

http://www.thedieselpage.com/t/fsdresistor.htm

Jim

enforcer233
09-23-2007, 20:08
That just about covers it alright. However from the chart I should assume that I have a #5 resistor because as far as I know the PMD/FSD in the truck is stock and no performance upgrades have been made.

So when I buy a spare PMD/FSD for remote mounting I should also buy another #5 resistor or not?? I was thinking about leaving the one that is on the IP there initially.

Also another question is this, JUST WHAT IS THE MOST RECENT STANADYNE PART NUMBER FOR A PMD/FSD? I see some with different numbers, usually a five digit number, most common is 34583 but occasionally 35976 or a larger number. JUST WHAT PART NUMBER SHOULD I BE LOOKING FOR?

Thanks

DA BIG ONE
09-24-2007, 04:31
I run 3 fsd's (2) are #6 (1) #9 when my IP was failing my truck would start and stall then run awhile and die w/#6 then it would start/drive/not-stall when the # 9 was used for some months before a mechanical "cam ring" failure finally happened. Bill Heath said the extra fuel of the #9 was enough to coverup a failing IP.

W/O #9 resistor I would have been stuck..........................................

More Power
09-24-2007, 12:21
However from the chart I should assume that I have a #5 resistor

The resistor pack is used to calibrate a DS to deliver a specific fuel rate. Due to a manufacturing tolerance of the dozens of individual components that comprise a DS, some pumps might have a sightly more or less fuel-rate capability than others. The resistor pack is used as a final calibration to help produce a pump that delivers nominal fuel-rate and emissions. So, it is possible that there have been pumps produced that came from the factory with any one of the 9 resistor packs. That said, most pumps probably come with a 4, 5 or 6 resistor.

Jim

enforcer233
10-03-2007, 12:13
I waited awhile but no one answered one of my earlier questions. What is the most recent part number for a PMD/FSD? I see the 34583 number a lot, but occassionally I see something different for sale.