PDA

View Full Version : Long Block or Complete?

Arlie
12-15-2004, 17:13
I'm finally getting around to getting my truck running after a failed oil line fitting did it in (siezed). Thought about going back to gas as a 93 truck won't be worth much more than the motor after replacing the diesel but it would be a pain so I'm staying with the 6.5.

I'm planning to put in the new style block, either a long block or a complete drop in. Not sure who I'll buy it from yet, and whether I'll do the R&R or pay to have it done.

Speedo is at 120K but I don't know actual engine mileage as it was changed over from 454 before I purchased it.

My turbo and pump (mechanical) seemed fine but I assume at least the pump and injectors should be changed. Not sure about the turbo.

Any input as to the cost/benefit of getting a complete vs long block? Seems if I get a long block, change pump, turbo, and injectors I may be near complete drop in price?

Arlie

jspringator
12-17-2004, 13:26
How hard would it be to convert it back to a 454? Engines are loads cheaper, and have fewer problems.

Arlie
12-18-2004, 10:13
Here's one of the better posts I found about this.

http://www.dieseldoctor.com/messageboard/data/1533.html

Certainly can be done but there's some issues, for example the ps pump, ac pump (apparently different) that will drive up the cost and fuss factor. He also didn't mention changing the instrument panel.

It's interesting, when I do a Blue Book on my truck, it's only worth about $7000 so with a dead diesel it's totalled! :rolleyes:

99gmccrew
12-19-2004, 20:49
My last truck had a 454 and ran very strong, but.....it got about 9 gallons a mile.

Arlie
12-20-2004, 20:50
That's about 5 miles per tank. smile.gif
How would you compare towing performance with the two engines.
Arlie

cruzer
12-21-2004, 06:57
When I tow w/my slide in camper and landcruiser
a buddy of mine goes along with his 2000 k2500 w/a cap, a 454 and 3.73's. He tows a CJ7. I figure I have about 2500 to 3000lbs more wt than he does. He likes to pull at 75mph I like to pull around 72. At 72 I'm getting around 11 1/2mph I tried 75 consistantly and didn't care for it plus my mileage went into the single digits. I know his mileage is about 10+mph empty. Who knows what he gets at 75, I'm sure it ain't a whole lot.

There is 1 hill in southern KY we pull that's about 4 miles long, I was looking forward to the hill after the rebiuld and new mods. The 454 was about a 1/4mi ahead of me, in my lane, I was trapped, slower traffic on the rt and faster car traffic on the left. I caught him near the top, and I had to let up, his truck had downshifted and was slowing, and mine was still in od and slowing slightly. I know his shifted because he asked if mine had. He looked in the rearview, I was on his butt, he got on the cb "What are you do'in? Draft'n". I told him I was looking forward to this hill all weekend and that he screwed it up!! I wanted to see where my egt's were, 875*post turbo. I could have easily passed him if there were no traffic. I do know his 3.73 gears were hurting him, but what would the mileage be if he had 4.10's?

Side by side empty I sure I can take him too. Maybe someday!

Sorry for the ramble, Ken

Real scientific, A?

[ 12-21-2004, 06:19 AM: Message edited by: cruzer ]

Arlie
12-21-2004, 17:17
Scientific or not I liked the story.
By the way, being a defected (or defective not sure which) canuck (Canadian) I'm qualified to correct your spelling, its "Eh" not "A" (at least where the expression is used most). :D
I'd like to hear more 454 vs 6.5 stories. Maybe I'll start a new thread. Not a bad idea eh?
Arlie