PDA

View Full Version : diesel tank question

BostonKev
09-24-2007, 10:53
I have a tank on my k2500 that has a pinhole and drips when the tank expands. Is there a product available to repair this? At the moment the truck is just a yard vehicle so I didn't want to replace it unless I had to. Thank you in advance.

Turbine Doc
09-24-2007, 13:37
There is a 2 part epoxy made for sealing gas tanks I don't know how well it works with Diesel fuel that kinda sort of works, dropping the tank isn't that big of a chore drain it & flush the tank with hot water from the hot water tank drain, drain the water and blow it dry with your shop vac on ehaust will give you hi volume air that is also warm, once it it dry, you can braze it for a permanent repair.

NH2112
09-24-2007, 16:04
I made a temporary repair with a self-tapping screw and RTV that ended up being leak-free for a couple years. One thing I'd definitely recommend is to repair the stock tank instead of buying an aftermarket tank, because the sheetmetal is about half the thickness of stock. When I finally dropped mine to repair it, I armored the bottom by welding sheetmetal from steel shelving across the bottom and halfway up the sides toward the seam.

HillBilly2
09-24-2007, 17:46
fwiw, If you've got one hole, there are probably several more about to open up. Its probably due to rust. Pull the tank and inspect it so you can make a decision as how to fix it.

They make a rubber based product you pour in and keep rolling the tank around until you coat it all inside thats supposed to work well.

I've seen the guys take old rotten tanks to the shop and have them sprayed with spray on bedliner. They say it lasts forever.

Yukon6.2
09-24-2007, 21:21
Hi
There is a product called Seal All that works great on gas and diesel tanks.I have a couple of tanks with repairs on them,one has been holding for at least 10 yrs.Fixed a diesel tank this summer with it and is still holding diesel.I use some paper towel like fiberglass cloth in fiberglass to give it strenght,keep a tube in my goodie box for emergencies.
Thomas

BostonKev
09-25-2007, 11:05
I appreciate all the help. On the off chance I decide to replace the tank does anyone have a reasonably priced place to get one? I'd like to avoid the stealerships if possible. Thank you

trbankii
09-25-2007, 13:02
In the past, I have used the following two products with good results. However, they were for gasoline tanks. Both products say they are resistant to all fuels, but I'd check around a bit for any issues with diesel before using one of them, just to be safe.

http://www.por15.com/prodinfo.asp?grp=TS&dept=12
http://www.eastwoodco.com/jump.jsp?itemID=382&itemType=PRODUCT