PDA

View Full Version : New rear main seal

N.E. TMRPR
09-24-2007, 20:13
I picked up a 91 6.2 that I will be putting in a new rear seal as a pre-cautionary. Does anyone have the torque in foot pounds for the rear main cap? I have not been able to get a motor manual yet.
Thanks, Ted

CapnAmerica
09-25-2007, 05:45
I have a 1985 6.2 NA...the seal shrank and rotated (and left a rather nasty trail for some miles down the interstate...). I installed an aftermarket two-piece seal with the motor in the truck, which has worked for some 100k miles. Unless you just like to tear down stuff like that or have to do it for some other reason, this might be an alternative.

Robyn
09-25-2007, 07:31
Bolt toque is 111 Lbs on the inner bolts and 100 on the outers
The 91 may very well have a one piece rear main seal.
Most of the late 6.2's were switched to the one piece system.
You should be able to tell by removing the lower bell housing aluminum cover and having a look see The one piece assembly is much larger than the two piece and it is fairly easy to see once the cover is off.

Why are you changing it? leaking? if no leaks leave it alone as these seals many times run 200K plus and still keep things dry.

Good luck

Robyn

N.E. TMRPR
09-25-2007, 12:48
Thanks for the info. I am restoring a blazer and I am putting the motor in. There did seem to be a little leaking going on. It does have the 2 piece and the new seal in now in. I am just going thru all major pieces so I don't have to do it later.
Thanks, Ted