PDA

View Full Version : just curious

chevrolet1
09-24-2007, 21:34
i'm taking my 06 in for service next week,and after reading various post's i've got a potential concern.my truck is stock except for an afe stage two dry filter,now here is my concern,my mileage is..i'm some what embarassed,13 mpg.when i installed the filter kit i wasn't expecting huge numbers,although some changes,however minor would have justified conversion.i do know that under heavy throttle smoke (black) is normal,although,i'm talking a plume,that is almost embarrising,am i freaking out or should i tell my,i think, my buddies at jimmie johnson chev.about these concerns?p.s.love the page,and how come i'm not on the members list?

Mark Rinker
09-25-2007, 06:06
13mpg empty? We average nearly that with a 30' trailer and loads...

I'd say go back to the stock air box and see what happens. If you drive with your foot in it, and jump on the brakes to lose speed - then you'll probably need to learn how to 'make mileage'.

Slow down - accept whatever highway speed 1800-2000rpm gives you
Use tow/haul to provide transmission braking. Play a game with your braking habits - see how much braking the truck can do for itself. If you find yourself rolling up to stop signs at 30mph, learn to decelerat earlier
Service air filters at every other 3K oil change interval - or every 5 or 10K if extended intervals used