PDA

View Full Version : 4L80E Rebuild or Replace??

kaylabryn
09-25-2007, 07:37
I am about due for a fresh transmission; mine is shuddering when the TC locks at light to moderate peddle. I have read that I could add a Transgo kit that would extend the life but not sure how much is left, I have 223K on the original. I am trying to decide if I want to build it myself or go the easy route and swap with a complete unit from a quality rebuilder. My questions are if I go the easy route, who should I go with that is a good no worries company, I live in Phoenix, AZ? I would prefer to use someone close but I do not have to. Also any TC suggestions?
Thanks
Mike

DA BIG ONE
09-26-2007, 08:01
The 4L80 has had many updates since 95 I suggest you do them too, they are listed along w/parts through SONNEX, sorry I don't have link to em right now.

If rig is a keeper consider ceramic or kevlar clutch materials along w/premium steels and hard parts. I went this way and added a B&M super cooler w/stat 160 deg controlled fan big but worth the $$$ and effort.

TurboDiverArt
09-30-2007, 18:50
The 4L80 has had many updates since 95 I suggest you do them too, they are listed along w/parts through SONNEX, sorry I don't have link to em right now.

If rig is a keeper consider ceramic or kevlar clutch materials along w/premium steels and hard parts. I went this way and added a B&M super cooler w/stat 160 deg controlled fan big but worth the $$$ and effort.

Hey, just curious. Where did you mount your supercooler? I have the biggest B&M stacked plate cooler I could get mounted behind the radiator, in front of the main cooling fan. It's great except when I have the A/C on, then the hot air coming through the radiator only warms up the Tran fluid in the aux cooler. I wanted to go the fan-cooler route but I couldn't figure out a place to mount it where it would be safe from a rock kicking up.

Art.

DA BIG ONE
10-01-2007, 01:19
I have taken GMC grill assembly and completely removed it, then trimmed the grill & grill trim ring mounting surfaces to the outer edge of grill mounting area of headlight/header panel leaving a much larger open area.

Result? Increased airflow through all coolers, condensor & radiator best part is the largest oil/trans coolers can now be mounted up front in their factory locations, custom brackets are needed and can be made from factory brackets w/little tinkering.

To complete job a grill is needed, this is a personal choice and material used should be the least restrictive screening/fine wire fencing you are happy with then painted to match color of truck..............................Mount your custom grill externally/internally to taste.