PDA

View Full Version : stumbling 98

dgrund61
09-25-2007, 17:07
98 1500 6.5 td stumbling btween 1800 and 2300 rpms. Checked all my ground connection,cleaned ,re tightened. Checked lift pump getting 12v at least at idle at the lift pump, checked flow at water drain; getting around 3 psi @ 2000 rpm. Changed fuel filter, cleaned speedo sensor on transfer case.twice have gotten a code for intake air leak so checked everything from turbo to manifold. couldn't find any thing and so I cleared the code. came back about a week later, still found nothing, so cleared the code. pmd is in stock position with about 55,000 miles on it. left fuel cap loose in case cap was bad, didn't help. Would an air leak on turbo side cause stumbling? Understand it could be pickup in tank. I just bought this truck and the previous owner ran the tank near empty for awhile. Help!! I am going crazy thinking I made a bad choice on this truck.

Robyn
09-25-2007, 19:57
I am suspect of the PMD.
Remote mount a fresh one out of the engine bay and on a finned cooler.
Air leaks will not make it stumble. Install the correct resistor in the PMD plug recess where the harness plugs in. If you dont know what it had/has use a #5

Any intermitent issue with the running of the engine can point fingers at the PMD.
What was the code that it gave you??

Not a bad choice, we just need to find its gremlin and then all will be fine :D

Good luck
Robyn

dgrund61
09-26-2007, 17:56
I ordered a remote cooler but they sent it with a #9 resistor. What effect will this have on the ip and pcm? The place where I bought the cooler said that is all the put on the pmd. I didn't save the number on the code reader but when I pulled up the explanation on the code reader it said it was an air intake leak. I would think that if there was an air leak i might be able to hear it. I have purchased a used pmd , not wanting to shell out 300.00 just to find out that's not what the problem is. I take it that mounting the pmd on a cooler on the intake will still not be cool enough? Thanks for your input and suggestions