PDA

View Full Version : Good Injectors

rtarchery
09-26-2007, 19:19
Just curious as to the number of high miles trucks that have had no injector problems. It seems from reading most have had an injector replacement.
I have 2001 with 136,000 and no problems. I have no mods either.

Duramaster
09-26-2007, 19:54
That is a funny thing. I work at a GMC dealer and have to listen to a couple of the "ford" guys talk bad about the DMAX because that is what we see alot of. I just tell them that the amount of trucks that we see is very minute compared to the amount of DMAX's that are actually out there on the road as we speak. And many of them are just like yours, having high mileage and never have to do anything except perform normal maintenance. ;)

DmaxMaverick
09-26-2007, 20:21
Welcome to the Forums!

Just curious as to the number of high miles trucks that have had no injector problems. It seems from reading most have had an injector replacement.
I have 2001 with 136,000 and no problems. I have no mods either.

Most folks (you are an exception, not the rule) find their way here because they have a problem. Rarely do people go looking for a place to say they have no problem, and are looking for an answer as to why. Of all the Duramax engine equipped trucks I'm familiar with, about 10% have had injector problems. Still to many, but not as many as you might believe. Problem is, the bad always outweighs the good. I have a '95 6.5L and it's been no problem. Original everything but maintenance items, despite what you read about them here. Same with my 1985 6.2L. I've had my Duramax injectors replaced, and will again in the next couple weeks. If that's as bad as it gets, I'm happy with it. I'll pay for the 3rd set without complaint. Not long ago, 100K meant complete overhaul on even the best the market had to offer....if the rest of the vehicle was worth messing with.

Mark Rinker
09-26-2007, 21:28
I have owned 5 Duramax trucks. The three LB7s have all required injector replacement, within their warranty period.

There is a HUGE aftermarket opportunity for both product and services as these millions of trucks exit their warranty period...IMO.

Hillbilly Jim
09-27-2007, 19:09
I dont know frerquency of replacement or percentage of vehiciles needing replacement.
My 2001 which I took delivery of in Dec 2000 has 95 thousand miles no injector replacement and one of my friends has about 120 thousand on an 01 with no replacement of injectors.
Maybe we are lucky, but we have never won a lottery.
Drive safe and shoot straight.
Hillbilly Jim

beeler
09-28-2007, 08:15
I had them replaced at 115k in my '02. A friends were just done in his '03 at 65k.

Dealers here are saying that performance boxes are killing injectors. I have ran an Edge since the 5000 mile mark. Friends truck is stock.

Duramaster, do you believe that the hotter tunes are contributing to the problems?

gophergunner
09-28-2007, 09:18
i don't understand how one company can make such a troublesome piece but another can make something that just doesn't stop ticking.

i'm just thinking about a tractor that my father has......about 6500 hours only but everything original on the engine except thermostat and alternator....and of course filters. this is from 1984 yet, and a tractor that runs all year round, dirt, dust, rain and snow.

general motors should take a lesson from john deere:rolleyes:

but at the same note, my father still has his 1997 6.5 with well over 400 000 km's and it has the original injectors

JohnC
09-28-2007, 12:17
Unfortunately, just about the only thing the John Deere injectors have in common with today's high pressure common rail injectors is we call both of them injectors...