PDA

View Full Version : PS gray bottle vs white bottle

JeepSJ
09-26-2007, 20:50
Since day 1, I have been running the gray bottle. I made that choice because it contains a cleaner. I figured that running cleaner through it would be a good thing since I didn't know the history of the pump and injectors.

Last time I went to get PS, they were out of gray so I bought the white.

All I can say is...wow, what a difference. I am on my second tank of fuel with the white and it is smoother, quieter, EGT is lower, and it looks like mileage is up slightly (I'll need more tanks to prove that).

So, I'll be sticking with the white bottle for a while.

93GMCSierra
09-28-2007, 20:11
What is the "gray" bottle, vs White bottle? We only have the White bottle available around here, never seen nor knew about a gray one.

More Power
09-28-2007, 21:34
Power Service, Stanadyne and others produce an array of diesel fuel additives - designed to do slightly different things. They change the bottle color or label color to help identify what product someone is looking for.

Some of the products are a multi-purpose product, while others tend to focus on individual ingredients. Individual ingredients might be injector cleaner, or cetane boost, or lubricity, etc. The multi-purpose bottles are usually more popular. I like to use an additive that adds lubricity, cetane and injector cleaner.

I have used quite a lot of PS in the white bottle. :)

Jim

Tough Guy
10-02-2007, 15:08
I like the white bottle the best too. I have been running B20 and I like the way the motor runs even better yet...B20 is good stuff, try it you'll like it.

Chris

drewkeen
10-03-2007, 12:51
I've always used the gray one because it never gets cold enough for fuel to gel down here. I may have to consider switching to the white one if there is that much difference!

JeepSJ
10-03-2007, 19:36
I've always used the gray one because it never gets cold enough for fuel to gel down here. I may have to consider switching to the white one if there is that much difference!

Here in Phoenix we don't have much of a gelling problem either. It would be interesting to run some white through your engine and see if you have the same results.

trbankii
10-04-2007, 07:03
What is the "gray" bottle, vs White bottle?

Just to make sure we're all on the same page...

I'm assuming this is the "grey bottle":
http://www.powerservice.com/images/products/dk.jpg

But which one is the "white bottle" people are discussing?
http://www.powerservice.com/images/products/dfs.jpg

or...
http://www.powerservice.com/images/products/cd_bulk.jpg

I'm assuming the first one?

DmaxMaverick
10-04-2007, 07:42
The first. The green/white is a different product altogether.

drewkeen
10-05-2007, 10:21
Here in Phoenix we don't have much of a gelling problem either. It would be interesting to run some white through your engine and see if you have the same results.

I just wonder if it has something to do with the weather getting cooler or if the additive made all the difference? I just finished off a gray jug and have a new one here I may take and swap to see if there is any difference.

trbankii
10-06-2007, 06:25
Had to tank up yesterday, so picked up a white bottle and added that into the mix. Wow! Already, after only forty miles or so, I notice that it seems to run quieter... Figured that I'd have to run a couple tanks through before I'd notice any difference.

[edit]
Reading through the PowerService website, the Diesel Kleen appears to be a more concentrated cleaner (obviously). I'm guessing that I should put a couple bottles (and tanks) of the grey bottle through and then go back to the white. Although the white bottle does seem to make a difference, I'm guessing my engine could use some cleaning considering the obvious maintenance issues the PO had with the truck...

Nolafishr
12-09-2007, 16:11
The white bottle is for the Winter or Cold Weather and the Gray is for the Summer or Warm Weather. I am using the White bottle now along with a bottle of Lucas Oil Fuel Treatment, I add 16oz every other tank, I alternate them. I have no problems with anything so far and runs fine.

2007 Silverado 2500 HD LT Ext Cab SB/Black Ext/Ebony Int/ LMM Diesel :D