PDA

View Full Version : New to forum

Widgeonus
09-28-2007, 09:01
Hi guys....New to the forum and new to diesel trucks. Just bought me a GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Crew Cab with the Duramax. So far, I love everything about it. Like I said, this is my first diesel vehicle. Any advice or do's/don'ts that I need to know?

Looking forward to learning all I can and hopefully, one day be able to contribute to the forum.

Duramaster
09-28-2007, 12:50
What year/ make and model did you buy? What acessories and options do you have? :confused:

Widgeonus
09-28-2007, 23:36
Sorry about that....it's a 2007 new body style and it has the SLE2 package...No aftermarket upgrades

Mark Rinker
09-29-2007, 07:48
Welcome aboard!

In your signature, you can list details on your truck like Year/Make/Model/Mileage/Options/Accessories.

My advice would be to research the maintenance/repair history of the truck, and make sure the basics were covered. You can get lots of info from any dealer by running the VIN and pulling GM's service and warranty history.

1) Rear end fluid serviced at 5K and every 15-25K since, depending on use. If unsure or undocumented, get the old stuff out and get a good synthetic in. Ditto for front diff and transfer case.

2) Same for transmission. If you don't know, change it. Most here opt for convention ATF, changed regularly over the massive quantity of synthetic required $$$

3) Most here would agree on synthetics for the DMax engine. Do your own research and establish a religious approach to this fluid change, regardless of brand and frequency. Personally, I do Mobil Delvac 15/40 with 10K mile intervals.

4) Fuel filter and air filters every 10-15K, depending on conditions and use. These are important to the life of your injectors and engine.

Good luck, have fun, read and search alot here there is a ton of info!

Widgeonus
09-29-2007, 23:20
I bought the truck as a dealer demo with 1800 miles on it. Sales manager was driving it around.

Duramaster
10-01-2007, 18:47
Hopefully it still has that "New Truck Smell"! Alot of the members here seem to be into all the "Synthetic" oils and K&N this and Banks that. I can't help you with those sort of things, but I can help you with OEM questions or concerns. As far as first thing to service would be to change the Allison spin-on trans filter at 5,000 miles. If you continue to run the stock fuel filtration system, then I would change the filter at every 10,000 miles at the most. As far as the oil change interval goes, the oil life monitor starts at 10,000 miles and then goes down from there according to driving habits. Now personally I have never owned a diesel, but if I did I would not go any fartther that 5,000 miles between oil changes using standard 15w40. We use Delo 400 low E at our dealership.

As I said, there are plenty of experienced DMAX owners here on this WEB site that have lots of experiences and good ideas so be sure to keep you eyes and ears open for all the good advice!! And enjoy your new truck. :)