PDA

View Full Version : Glow Plug Over Ride Kit Report

Marty Lau
04-12-2005, 08:32
This past weekend I put in the SS Diesel Glow Plug over ride kit and it works well. It came with a 100 amp relay, 2 6ga wires to hook the relay to the glow plug controller.
2 about 16ga wires one goes from push button swith to relay, on has 5 amp fuse and goes from switch to a hot you tie into.

I mounted it under the Cargo light there was a couple of blank for switches. The dirrectons are good and the items are all good with one exception. The wire from the push button switch to the relay could of stood to be about 12 inches longer. I spent almost an hour fishing and refishing the line to make it the shortest run posible and I got it hook with only about a inch to spare.

The 6 ga lines that carry the load from the realy to the controller had plenty as did the fused wire which I cut a foot off of. My grade for the kit would be a B only because of the short wire.

This morning it was 30 degrees when I started when the factory glow plug time went out I pushed the button and added about 4-5 seconds more glow time and she started up an no smoke this morning normally I get white smoke when it cool for 10-30 seconds depending on the temp. So far I really like it. Not to bad for less than $80 shipped in.
smile.gif

Iain
04-12-2005, 13:50
I used a similar item on my 6.5TD. I bought the Marine Glow Plug Timer from Peninsular Diesel. It is a 3 position spring loaded switch (off, on and manual)plus a solinoid and a (pardon my lack of tech terms) little black box that you can select how long you want the glow plugs to run (5-30 seconds). I set mine for 15 seconds so that it kicks in and always glows for 15 seconds every time I turn on the key. If I need a bit more here in the chilly north than I flick the switch to "manual" and let it glow for a bit longer.

It did not come with any wires and the solinoid is internally grounded so it needed to be mounted on a good metal surface. I mounted the little black box near the fuse box and the switch just under the steering column and to the left a bit. The solinoid I mounted directly above the factory controller and the hot wire and glow plug wires were just long enough to reach. I disconnected the factory controller completely and taped up the wires. If need be and I get stuck in a bind, in 5 minutes I can disconnect the Marine Timer and reconnect the factory controller. It was $87.00 US plus shipping and Penisular was real good about the technical info. They even called me a week later to see how I liked it! Seems like a great product.