PDA

View Full Version : Duramax/Allison into '85 Chevy Tk

Lonnie P
09-29-2007, 21:31
New member here, trying to learn as much as possible about these engines & transmissions.

I just brought home a '05 LLY engine/trans/transfer case to start my swap. I got every wire from the truck, steering column, fuel lnes/tank & hydraboost setup.

The motor mounts, frame brackets & trans crossmember should make the fabrication a little easier.

Anyone here done one of these?

I guess I'll pick up a shop manual & start reading it everynight.

Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

dieselHoe
10-05-2007, 13:08
this should help.... this guy swaped a Dmax on a 91 Crew Cab truck

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Duramax-engine-conversion-GMC-LLY-LBZ-truck-diesel_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ6762QQihZ010QQit emZ200159726762QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

BigRabbitMan
10-05-2007, 20:17
Should you purchase the CD that is referenced above, scan it for viruses prior to copying to your computer. I purchased a copy and it had three viruses on it. After my negative feedback report on ebay, he may have removed the viruses from the files and you might get a clean copy.

I havn't used any of the actual conversion information as of yet as I am not that far along so I cannot speak to the actual value of the information on the CD.

Lonnie P
10-05-2007, 20:35
Thanks for the reply.

I bought one of those CD's last week on Ebay & it has a lot of pictures, diagrams & aftermarket components used for the conversion. I'm glad I bought it.

BigRabbitMan..... We must have been posting at the same time. I'll look for viruses, now that I'm nervous. I should have checked before I copied it to my laptop.

I had hoped to meet some others that have done this as well.

It looks to be a big project.

Starting with a sandblasted bare frame, which I am painting tomorrow. Spent a few days smoothing & filling. Once I get the cab back from the body shop I can start building the mounts.

Looks like I need a Ford front D60 to get the Drivers Side drop.
Planning 4.10's & 35" tires.

trbankii
10-06-2007, 08:14
Although for the '88-'98 body style, The Diesel Page book on conversions would likely answer a number of your questions as well: http://www.thedieselpage.com/duramaxconversions.htm

mitchedo
11-19-2007, 06:06
Although for the '88-'98 body style, The Diesel Page book on conversions would likely answer a number of your questions as well: http://www.thedieselpage.com/duramaxconversions.htm

Why 88-98? I have a 99 K3500 that I certainly hope is the old style, since that's the shop manuals I ordered. Is there something about the 99's that preclude such a swap?

And just for kicks and grins, how much does a salvage Duramax and transmission go for that wold work in such a swap? ...seems like it'd be best to buy the whole truck.

More Power
11-19-2007, 09:50
Why 88-98? I have a 99 K3500 that I certainly hope is the old style, since that's the shop manuals I ordered. Is there something about the 99's that preclude such a swap?

And just for kicks and grins, how much does a salvage Duramax and transmission go for that wold work in such a swap? ...seems like it'd be best to buy the whole truck.

The new GMT-800 body style was introduced in 1999. To avoid confusion, a description of the 90's body style (GMT-400) is usually referenced as 1988-98. GM did build GMT-400 Suburbans and 3500HDs through the 2000 model year.

So, yes your 1999 would be a good candidate. The best advice for acquiring a salvage D/A is to get the best one you can locate (condition & mileage), not worry about LB7, LLY, LBZ or LMM. Try to get the complete truck or a "package" that includes everything you'll need. You shoulld be able to get a nice low mileage package for something in the $7500 range.

Jim

Lonnie P
03-18-2008, 20:30
Since it has been a while, I thought i would post a link to some build pictures in case anyone is interesed.

http://www.lonniesperformance.com/82chevyduramax.htm