PDA

View Full Version : performance air filter

exstremefab
09-29-2007, 22:07
Can anyone tell me if there is a performance air filter(like a K&N) out there that will fit in a stock air box on a 03 4500 top kick.only owned the truck for a few months and having a hard time finding performance parts for it . thanks bruce

Mark Rinker
09-30-2007, 05:47
I haven't seen any advertised. My thought is that the surface area of the OEM MD round peice is so much larger than the LD rectangle that it would be hard to improve upon.

Another issue is that oiled gauze filters may cause issues with the MAF sensor. They also pass alot more fine particulates, when not heavily oiled.

My thought would be to address the exhaust side first, then fuel, then boost, in that order.

exstremefab
09-30-2007, 08:41
Thanks mark . I just got the edge juice for the truck and was going to the exhaust next . looks like the exhaust brake will be my problem .

Mark Rinker
09-30-2007, 11:33
Yup. Thats the "small fitting in the garden hose". I think 5" of mandrel bent exhaust pipe with no muffler would still help.

Our diesels turn higher RPMs than 2500/3500 series trucks, and downshift easily under load and on grades, turning 3K rpms. Thats ALOT of flow required. Larger, free-flowing exhaust can't hurt.

My fuel and boost are still bone stock. I think some additional could really wake the C4500 up - the largest benefit being able to hang on to 4th and 5th gear longer under loads and grades.

Once you've hit 3rd gear and 3,000rpm at 50-something mph, you are so far outside the diesel peak torque band that its fuel wasted and extra wear and tear on engine and drivetrain...I still don't understand WHY these trucks are geared so deeply. 4.10s would be about right. They are geared like gassers.

I have to admit, I after 20K miles this summer in my 4500 with CGVW of ~28,000#-32,000# I am wondering if something with more gears isn't in my near future.

a5150nut
10-06-2007, 11:12
I have to admit, I after 20K miles this summer in my 4500 with CGVW of ~28,000#-32,000# I am wondering if something with more gears isn't in my near future.

Is there enough room for a 10 speed Road Range to fit under there? :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Mark Rinker
10-06-2007, 15:28
Tell me more! Whats a Road Range?

a5150nut
10-06-2007, 19:29
The smaller ones are in medeum heavy duty trucks. It's a five speed with two ranges. Shift through the patern, flip the range switch and run the patern again. It's big brother can be found in large trucks in the 13 and 18 gear version. The early versions were 9 speeds. I'll see if I can find a site that caries them and link it back later. :D

Duramaster
10-18-2007, 20:36
EATON ROAD RANGER! They arer usuall in trucks with air brakes. They use air to shift from low to high "RANGE". They also do not have syncronizers in them. You have to time the shift or you end up with gear clash. They are a massive transmission that require larger equipment to work on them. Here is the road ranger website http://www.roadranger.com/Roadranger/index.htm You will have to ask a few questions but I'm sure you are aware that anything is possible for a medium duty truck! ;)