PDA

View Full Version : Rear Main seal leak 93 td,newbie question

stacker
09-30-2007, 03:37
Well here we go. I've just purchased a 93 with suppose to have 30k, what's too much black smoke, since i don't know if the pumps been turned up or not. they have turned up the boost to 12 psi max. also have installed filter kit. How hard is it to change the rear main seal seems to be leaking a little. Anyone played with timing to get a little more out of her. Dumb question is the exhaust upgrade a plus or just a waste of money i have 3 inch with stock muffler. Would a low restriction muffler be just as good, with a larger cross over.

93 4x2 5spd ck3500
28ft carry lite 5th wheel 9000#

More Power
10-02-2007, 10:48
Beginning in 1992, the 6.2/6.5 incorporated a one-piece rear main seal. It's fairly easy to replace once the transmission, flywheel/flexplate have been removed. The oil pan doesn't need to come off.

Jim

Kenneth
10-05-2007, 17:26
Before you jump into the rear main seals, check your CDR. It is a valve breather on the passenger's side valve cover. I had the same problem in my 1994 6.5 turbo and Heath Diesel told me to change my CDR valve and ALL my oil leaks stopped. Heath Diesel said that the rear main seals rarely go out on these 6.5's. When was the last time it was changed? It is supposed to be done every 30,000 miles. you can even clean them with diesel and then let them competely dry out before installing them again.