PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Filter housing

DmaxMad
09-30-2007, 11:59
Is there any place to buy the housing besides the stealer on an 02 dmax? The past 2 times I changed the filter, it would not prime. I am convinced it is the primer not a fuel leak. I primed it by pressurizing the tank. It went an entire filter change interval and never lost prime or leaked. I changed it today and would not prime again.

DmaxMaverick
09-30-2007, 12:17
How are you priming? The pump is not self priming, so if it doesn't get fuel, it doesn't work. You can prime the filter and not the pump. It must be done right or it will not work.

That said, if it is the filter assy that's bad, you do not have to use the OEM. Racor (OEM filter assy brand) and others make other assy's that'll work fine, and better in some cases.

DmaxMad
09-30-2007, 12:33
How are you priming? The pump is not self priming, so if it doesn't get fuel, it doesn't work. You can prime the filter and not the pump. It must be done right or it will not work.

That said, if it is the filter assy that's bad, you do not have to use the OEM. Racor (OEM filter assy brand) and others make other assy's that'll work fine, and better in some cases.

I put the new filter on and then opened the bleeder valve and pumped at least 200 times. Never seen any fuel at the bleeder. How do you prime the pump? I am following the procedure in the duramax supplement manual. Am I doing it wrong?

DmaxMaverick
09-30-2007, 12:50
The lower your fuel level in the tank, the more pumps you'll need. Depending on how long the system was open during your service and the condition of the fuel cap, the fuel could have completely drained back. Happens very quickly if you have the cap off with the filter removed. You may have needed 201 pumps. Some take more than others, and I don't know why.

The HP fuel pump is primed by closing the bleeder and pumping until you get significant resistance at the primer. This is after you get the filter primed.

DmaxMad
09-30-2007, 13:00
The lower your fuel level in the tank, the more pumps you'll need. Depending on how long the system was open during your service and the condition of the fuel cap, the fuel could have completely drained back. Happens very quickly if you have the cap off with the filter removed. You may have needed 201 pumps. Some take more than others, and I don't know why.

The HP fuel pump is primed by closing the bleeder and pumping until you get significant resistance at the primer. This is after you get the filter primed.

Thanks I am below half a tank. I will let it go one more filter change interval. I changed my filter every time before and never had an issue until the last 2. Next time I will have a full tank and a new fuel cap just to make sure.

Duramaster
10-01-2007, 06:05
Hey DMAXMAD, Here is a simple fix. I have had this same thing happen a time or two in the shop. Simply remove the filter head and disassemble it. Then just wash all the debris from the check valves. This is a very simple process and not very "SCARY" at all. After washing out with fresh solvent you can then just lightly blow the remaining debris from the check valves. There are at least two if not three valves in the head. And no, you can not get new "O" rings from the dealer. They are not sold separately, but I haven't had a problem yet with leaky filter heads after repairs. :cool:

D-max Man
10-01-2007, 08:54
I have a brand new housing & filter asm. if you need it. - P.M me for details

DmaxMad
10-01-2007, 11:05
Hey DMAXMAD, Here is a simple fix. I have had this same thing happen a time or two in the shop. Simply remove the filter head and disassemble it. Then just wash all the debris from the check valves. This is a very simple process and not very "SCARY" at all. After washing out with fresh solvent you can then just lightly blow the remaining debris from the check valves. There are at least two if not three valves in the head. And no, you can not get new "O" rings from the dealer. They are not sold separately, but I haven't had a problem yet with leaky filter heads after repairs. :cool:

Thanks DuraMaster. I am going to run it till next filter change, then I will try cleaning it. The stealer wants 527.00. I will go after market before I do that.