PDA

View Full Version : What size garage for crew dually

sturgeon-phish
09-30-2007, 18:29
This may sound like a dumb question but here goes. I am adding an addition to my garage for my truck. I want to make it large enough for a crew dually that I want to get in the future. I am tight for space, especially width. I can easily go 12' wide, could go 14' if I need to. My concern is being able to open truck doors inside the garage. Length is no issue, I'm making it 30' deep. Please let me know ASAP, I'm digging footers. Thanks
Jim

BamaChief600
09-30-2007, 20:11
My 93 Chevy 3500 4 door is approx 92" wide at the rear wheels. I didnt measure width with doors open.

DennisG01
10-01-2007, 05:15
My concern is being able to open truck doors inside the garage. Jim

I may be stating the obvious here, but just take a measurment using your truck. The front doors on a dually should be pretty much the same as yours. In fact, I'm not sure why they wouldn't be identical.

sturgeon-phish
10-01-2007, 06:06
The door openings are the same. What I was trying to ask is from a real world experience is, in a 12' wide garage, can you in a practicle sense easily get in and out of the truck. I did not ask the question very well. Sorry for the confusion
Jim

redbird2
10-01-2007, 06:31
yes you can get by with 12' however I've always found you never have enough room if you can go 14 do it! isn't the saying bigger is better LOL

have fun

Robyn
10-01-2007, 07:35
Go out to 14 if you can do it.
Nuff said :D:D

Robyn

DennisG01
10-01-2007, 10:30
If the cost isn't that much more, definitely go as big as you can.

Another idea:
When I was building a new shed, I was also trying to figure out how big I should make it. What I ended up doing was laying out two different sized floor plans with rope. I taped the rope down on my garage floor and then started loading the things I would normally keep in my shed into this make-shift floor. I went with the bigger floor plan.

You could also probably do something similar. At the very least, set some boxes (or something similar - maybe even use people) up 12' across from each other and pull your truck in between the boxes. Then try the same thing with 14'.

It should give you a pretty good idea of what 12'/14' would feel like.

sturgeon-phish
10-01-2007, 19:08
I set some 5' rebar at 12' and it was real tight. Compromised at 13' wide and had room to open doors and easily get in. 14' was great but really cut into some space I hated to give up.
Thanks for the help
Jim