PDA

View Full Version : magnets in fuel tank / tranny oil in fuel

Paul Amestoy
12-16-2004, 04:55
Just had my IP changed out ( i think this is # 5).. finally found a good mechanic ( yes we have one in California).... He found a few ground and connector problems... he suggests the following:

New fuel filter every 10K miles... new lift pump every couple of years.... Magnets in the fuel tank..( this picks up small metal shavings that tend to come off the lift pumps and/or bad fuel).

He also suggests a secondary fuel filter after the lift pump....

And one quart of tranny oil to each 40 gallon tank of Diesel...

Any comments?

BTW the truck runs better than it has ever run... at 180K...

Turbine Doc
12-16-2004, 05:59
Yes on secondary filter but I prefer before the lift pump will keep it from making metal, pre filter with a 20 or 10 micron large body filter like Racor, will take a long time to plug up, depending which options you get can be outfitted with heater, water drain, filter blocked alarm and water alarms.

The pre filter will get out the "chunks" & water in fuel that cause stock on engine 5 micron to plug fast and will keep the lift pump protected better from "chunk" wear. The stock on engine filter will protect the IP from post lift pump stuff.

A gauge on output of stock filter is a good thing as you will know if lift pump is doing it's job, truck will run without lift pump, but stumbles under load without the assist of the lift.

I prefer a good additive that adds lubricity and water dispersion, many out there, I like FPPF Total Power per JK recommendations, STP red IIRC is something Doc Lee recommends highly, do as search for that or post the question in that forum, I'd say for sure it's by I've done kilt too many brain cells during days of youth in the Navy to rely on stored "factoids" in the noggin anymore.

MTTwister
12-16-2004, 07:54
Just to add - 1. make sure the tranny fluid isn't red - be hard to explain that it isn't off road diesel. Dr Lee suggested 1 Oz 2 cyl oil / 10 gal to the fuel.

The red STP - 4cyl goes in the engine oil, adds the requisite Zinc + whatevers that are being blended out.

http://forum.thedieselpage.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=16;t=000671

markrinker
12-16-2004, 09:37
Interested in the tank magnet idea. I'd like to place one that could be removed periodically for inspection.

Ideas? Experiences?

turbovair
12-16-2004, 10:09
How about placing the magnet on the outside of the tank? If its powerful enough, the magnetism will transmit through the tank, the same job will be accomplished, but you wont have to worry about magnet "deterioration" anf fuel contamination.

Turbine Doc
12-16-2004, 10:10
Originally posted by MTTwister:
Just to add - 1. make sure the tranny fluid isn't red - be hard to explain that it isn't off road diesel. Dr Lee suggested 1 Oz 2 cyl oil / 10 gal to the fuel.

The red STP - 4cyl goes in the engine oil, adds the requisite Zinc + whatevers that are being blended out.

http://forum.thedieselpage.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=16;t=000671 Thanks MTT I knew there was dialog to this somewhere, I wasn't lyin about having a few challenged brain cells from my ill spent youth.

As far as magnets Id rather catch it in something that allows me to get rid of it like a pre filter cartridge that gets tossed when dirty; magnet inside might get stuck in the tank and become a PITA to get out, magnet outside will clump it in one place and maybe make a big chunk of magentized fuzz capable of blocking pickup tube.

hump
12-16-2004, 16:55
I thought metal in the tank wasn't a problem anymore with the newer injection pumps (ceramic rollers?). My pump was changed in June so I'm hoping that isn't a problem. Still don't see how the metal gets by the filter anyway.

Uncle Wally
12-16-2004, 17:09
A good high strength magnet can be found on Ebay. Search for Neodenium. I use these in the shop to hang stuff to the bench, etc. Two the size of a quarter take some time and skill to take apart if they ever get put together. Most of them are nickel plated, but I have seen other plating.

<<thinking>>

I remember the old inline glass filter assemblies. Maybe something of that nature in a fuel line (obviously without the glass) would work well.

Waldo