PDA

View Full Version : Just joined the forum-1st questions

MrBSA
10-01-2007, 16:35
Hi all,
I just joined the forum and it looks like there is lots of good info available here but thought I would start off with a couple of questions related to my newly purchased 2002 2500HD Silverado Duramax.
1) While under the truck recently to do the first oil change I noticed that the front portion of the alloy oil pan has a hardened black substance covering just about the whole thing. It looks like some kind of epoxy coating. Is this normal or has there been some damage that was covered up? There are no leaks but I am concerned.
2) Where in the VIN code or build data can I determine if this vehicle was built as a 2 wheel or 4 wheel drive or is there a free VIN check available on the web or GM site somewhere.
Thanks in advance for your help!
Cheers

Duramaster
10-01-2007, 18:37
Hi there MRBSA! I work at a GMC Dealer in the Northwest and most of my time is spent with the DMAX!! In answer to your question, the fifth digit from the left determines if the truck is a 4x4 or 2wd. C = 2wd. K = 4wd. Furthermore, if you e-mail me your VIN, I can give you all sorts of info on your truck such as vehicle options, warranty claims, in service date, how much warranty is left. ;)

DmaxMaverick
10-01-2007, 20:41
Welcome to the Forums!

That black stuff on the pan is insulation material. Helps with sound deadening. Completely normal.

Just curious....
Why the concern with the 2/4wd?

MrBSA
10-02-2007, 13:04
Thanks for your prompt replys guys. I guess I was just being paranoid, when I saw the black stuff it looked like someone was trying to hide some damage with an epoxy patch and the truck looks like it is or was 4 wheel drive, (big wheel wells etc.). After checking the VIN I see that it is a "C" so 2 wheel. Duramaster, I will take you up on your offer and send you the VIN. Much appreciated, thanks.