PDA

View Full Version : LLY or LBZ Motor ?

AustralianLad
10-02-2007, 04:10
Hi folks,
I need help on identifying my engine i bought for my conversion. I have a motor with the heater in the intake (LLY/LBZ) but do not know which motor it is. I want to get some workshop manuals but because i dont have the original truck i am not quite sure what the VIN number is? Can i find out from the engine number or is it on the engine computer? I believe i can get the VIN number out if i plugged in EFI live straight into the engine computer but i want to get the manuals first so i can start my project without hooking wrong wiring up and frying cables!!!!!!!!! Being located in Australia makes hard to get local help so hence being a member of the Diesel Pages. I have requested help in the Conversion pages but no response so i will try here and see if someone can help me. Thanks in advance folks.

Cheers Garry.

Duramaster
10-02-2007, 06:42
A quick glance through GM SI shows no real difference in the service manual. All the repairs/ diagnosis is for the LLY and the LBZ together. Remember the major difference is more horse power and torque between the two engines. In other words, if you buy the 2006 GMC/ Chevrolet manuals the diagnosis should be the same. ;)

DmaxMaverick
10-02-2007, 08:24
Pulling the VIN would be an excellent idea, for a couple reasons. The 8th digit will indicate the engine series. 2 for LLY and D for LBZ. Also, you can have one of our on board GM techs run the VIN for a service history of the engine. At the same time, I find no physical difference between the 2006 LLY and LBZ, programming only. This is visual only. I haven't been inside one, yet, but have no reason to believe they are different internally.

Duramaster
10-02-2007, 12:25
I just checked with the parts guy on the following items................. the turbo, injectors, injection pump, waterpump, and the EGR valve are all the same LBZ vs. LLY. ;)

The heads, pistons and crankshaft too.

Mark Rinker
10-02-2007, 16:24
Either way, you are in good shape.

My '06 LLY pulls noticably stronger than the early '05 LLY I previously owned. Not sure why...maybe someone can enlighten me on this one. Thought maybe it was in my head, until my other driver noticed the same thing, and the mileage is much better.

Best of luck to you!

Rabbler
10-02-2007, 17:23
There are differences between early and late build LLY engines. The late build LLY's are essentially the same as the LBZ. If your intake heater screws into the top of the intake it's an early LLY. If you have the grid style heater that bolts to the front of the intake it's a late build LLY/LBZ.

AustralianLad
10-07-2007, 22:38
Sorry about no relying earlier to you guys but i have just got back from watching the car racing. Darn Fo%ds won.Thanks guys for your replies!!!! My engine has the grid style heater in the intake, so late LLY or LBZ. I will order a 2006 manual so i can get my build started. Can not wait to hear engine running.

Duramaster - Good to know that only programming different to LLY / LBZ

DmaxMaverick - Who do i send my engine number to so they can tell me VIN number and vehicle information?

Thanks again folks for your help and comments

Garry.