PDA

View Full Version : Crossover Pipe needed, YES or NO

Jochen Woern
10-02-2007, 21:38
Good evening all,

OK, I am in the process of changing my stock exhaust to a 4" Jardine System.

The one question I still have no real answer for is: Change the Crossover Pipe as well,YES or NO? Some of you say "not needed", some others say that a mandrel bend one is "highly recommended" and it "should be changed".

So, what is really the verdict? Should I leave the stock one on or should I spend the 130 bucks and change it with the rest of the exhaust system?

Help please.

Thanks in advance.

DA BIG ONE
10-03-2007, 03:47
For a stock unit factory pipe is ok, for any performance upgrades change it out, I've used stock, and 2 different mandrel x-overs w/flowmaster inplace.

The ATS x-over I used set up high and close to motor, the flowmaster sits lower by about 1.5" which helps clear my oil bypass filter manifold....

Robyn
10-03-2007, 06:02
With a 4" exhaust a mandrel bent performance crossover is a really good way to go.

Some of the factory X pipes were so so and some had real issues.
Do it now while your in the mood.
The larger free flowing X pipe will help the LH side breath easier and also help reduce retained heat.
This results in more flow to the turbo too.
Before you install your new X pipe take the time to locate a good spot on the LH side of the pipe close to the manifold outlet and drill the pipe and weld in a Bung to screw in your EGT probe.
This is a perfect place to get real accurate temps.

I have heard the sad tale of folks blowing in a hole with a torch and all that slag goes through the turbo resulting in a real train wreck.

Good luck and enjoy the new 4 incher.
I have a 3-1/2 on my DaHoooley and it sounds awesome, I can only imagine how a 4 incher is gonna rumble.

Robyn

Jochen Woern
10-03-2007, 06:10
Thanks Robyn and Da Big One, appreciate your feedback very much.

Good day.

redbird2
10-03-2007, 06:22
I have an extra mandrel bent cross over bought for project truck I don't need its brand new if interested send me a e-mail would be glad to get it off the shelf and someone using it.

Jochen Woern
10-03-2007, 22:15
Hello redbird2, how are you?

I just send you a private message regarding your offer, hope you got it.

If not, please let me know so I can re-send. I am certainly interested in your crossover pipe, thank you very much.