PDA

View Full Version : Putting in new LB, should I replace the turbo also?

aquaman0001
10-03-2007, 10:11
When my oil cooler lines busted, it took the engine with it. I am now wondering if I should have my mechanic put a new turbo in at the same time. Or is this something I can do myself?

DennisG01
10-03-2007, 13:08
Well, I had the same thing happen. I think my turbo is OK. I can spin the shaft easily, no axial play, no odd sounds, the fins visually look good. Of course I won't know for sure until I get the new engine in, but based on that assessment I think it's worthwhile to wait and see. Besides, I'll be getting a bigger turbo in the near future, anyways. But, yes, you can totally do a turbo yourself.

aquaman0001
10-03-2007, 15:53
Aldatadiy does not have instructions for turbo install. Where could I get the instructions?
Thanks
A

DennisG01
10-04-2007, 05:13
I only have a Chilton's book at home, but I can check into it. However, it's pretty straight forward - what you see is what you get. Spray the mounting bolts with penetrating fluid a bunch of times over the course of a few days. Now to be fair I had easier access, though, as I took mine off when the manifolds where already removed - I also had my manifolds ceramic coated. But all in all, it's pretty easy to do.

By the way, you can check the axial play and all of the other stuff simply by removing the rubber intake elbow.

DmaxMaverick
10-04-2007, 07:53
The turbo is pretty durable. If it appears fine, it probably is. If it doesn't have physical damage you can see, spins free, and the impellers don't contact the housing, it should be OK. A little play is OK, as long as the blades don't hit the housing. Like said above, R/R is straight forward. No surprises. If you get into it and have questions, we'll be here.

aquaman0001
10-04-2007, 09:14
Thanks, I might be calling on your services.
A