PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Question

Mark Fry
04-12-2005, 17:23
Gents,
I just purchased a '95 Suburban 2500 with the 6.5 with 95k miles. Looks to be fairly well looked after mechanically. Got a couple of oil leaks - possible front crank seal, possible rear main seal. The IP has not been replaced and the in-service date leaves less than one year on the 11 year warranty. I have considered a 2-year, 24k mi. aftermarket warranty from Continental Warranty company, which will cover it for $1600. Of course it covers a lot of other things as well. Really interested in the general opinion about the probabilities associated with an IP failure in the next 20k miles. Also, the motor seems completely stock. Are there any no-brainer mods, e.g., the hi-cap water pump that I should embrace right away? Thanks in advance.

99gmccrew
04-12-2005, 19:09
You'll want to begin with some gauges, these engines in stock mode don't handle heat well. Pyrometer, turbo boost, trans temp, are common among the people on this forum. Others have even more. Its very important to watch your egt's or engine gas temps especially when towing. After gauges are in place, a good exhaust system at least 3.5" or 4" will do you right. You'll want a better air filter like a k&n or similar which will work in conjunction with your exhaust to open up the air flow in and out of your engine to help keep your egt's down and performance up.
That should keep you busy for a while. ;)
Welcome aboard !!!

99gmccrew

ace58
04-13-2005, 02:11
Before you decide on aftermarket warranty, make sure the IP is covered by their program. GM notes its 11 year 120K warranty as a special program, not part of standard vehicle warranty, 3 year 36K.

JeffsTowTruck
04-13-2005, 02:13
I WOULD NOT WORRY ABOUT THE IP. MY TRUCK IS A SALVAGE VEHICLE WITH NO WARRANTY. SO WHEN MINE WENT BAD I GOT ON THE WEB AND FOUND THIS HERE SITE. BEST THING I DID. I DID NOT WANT TO KEEP PUTTING ON IP'S LIKE GM WAS DOING. THE FSD COOLER HAS FIXED MY IP PROBLEM FOR GOOD. I DO SEE THE COOLING WAS UPDATED ON THE 97 SO YOU MIGHT LOOK INTO THAT..99GMCCREW IS RIGHT IF YOU NEED MORE TOWING HP THE CHEAPEST IS THE AIR IN AND OUT. THAT'S WHAT I HAVE DONE. ALSO I JUST WENT WITH THE INTER COOLER AND THAT WAS A BIG BOOST.MY 97 ONLY HAS 67K AND I WANTED TO LEAVE THE ENG ALONE.
JUST TAKE SOME TIME AND READ THE DIFFERENT IMPUTS HERE ON TDP.. THIS WEB SITE HAS EDUCATED AND HELPED ME A LOT.. smile.gif
WELCOME AND YOU HAVE ALREADY DONE THE RIGHT THING BY COMING HERE..

trbankii
04-13-2005, 05:47
Originally posted by 99gmccrew:
Its very important to watch your egt's or engine gas temps especially when towing.
99gmccrew EGT = Exhaust Gas Temperature smile.gif

Ryan Colley
04-14-2005, 08:59
Dont bother with the aftermarket warranty...I've been there done that with a 1995 DS-4 equipped truck. The warranty company will give you some song and dance about how they only cover "internally lubricated engine parts" (believe me I tried to explain to them how a diesel injection pump works). Its not worth the trouble.

dieselrealtor
04-15-2005, 19:00
As a former service manager & have a LOT of experience with extended warranties, the majority of them look for any reason to deny a claim. Traditionally on big $ claims, they will send an adjuster that will check t-stat opening temps, cut fuel filters open, etc to determine if there is a shread of evidence that it is YOUR fault, then promptly deny the claim.

Do your homework & make calls to them asking specifically why they would not cover the IP, take the name, date & time of the call.

Good luck smile.gif