PDA

View Full Version : Add Motor Oil to Fuel, or?

DA BIG ONE
10-06-2007, 04:16
Had a sticking injector someone pointed to the new fuels as the reason then suggested 2 quarts of motor oil to a tank to unstick the injector and keep using motor oil as a fuel lube. Injector has been fine and I have been adding motor oil to fuel since situation.

Been using name brand cetane boosters and fuel lubes/cleaners and wonder now If ashless 2 stroke or just plain ole motor oil is better as fuel lube?

DmaxMaverick
10-06-2007, 07:22
I won't take a side on the "oil in fuel" argument, but if you are going to add oil, use 2 cycle oil. It's formulated to burn in the combustion chamber. Motor oil has additives that are not designed for this purpose. A lot of folks use it this way, but the long term effects are unclear. I've used motor oil for corrective/diagnostic reasons, but wouldn't use it on a regular basis.

Mark Rinker
10-06-2007, 17:48
At what ratio would you recommend for un-sticking a hanging injector? I'll use 2-cycle...1 quart per 50 gallons? 30? 10?

DA BIG ONE
10-06-2007, 19:39
I used 2 qts 30wt for 43 gals; Everyone in these parts are stating ashless 2 stroke oil is best way to go but stumped as to at what ratio?

I'm concerned as I was using well known brand name diesel fuel additive products when injector stuck.

DmaxMaverick
10-06-2007, 19:52
I used 2 qts 30wt for 43 gals; Everyone in these parts are stating ashless 2 stroke oil is best way to go but stumped as to at what ratio?

I'm concerned as I was using well known brand name diesel fuel additive products when injector stuck.

It's more likely the "stuck" injector needed the viscosity improvement more than lubrication. Sounds like it's wearing/worn out, or you got a sloppy reman. The same thing works for tired IP's.

JeepSJ
10-07-2007, 10:27
After playing with ratios using 2-stroke, about 1/2oz per gallon seems to be working good for me. Anything less, and I don't see any benefit, and I didn't see any difference between 1/2 oz and 1 oz.

DA BIG ONE
10-07-2007, 12:57
It's more likely the "stuck" injector needed the viscosity improvement more than lubrication. Sounds like it's wearing/worn out, or you got a sloppy reman. The same thing works for tired IP's.

They were reman and some had different numbers was told they were all modified to hi-pop specs. Judging from your well informed and expert input on viscosity I'm looking at getting new injectors soon..............................

DmaxMaverick
10-07-2007, 13:24
Be careful when looking at the "hi-pops". There's 2 ways to make them. One (the correct way) is to use marine hard parts and the proper spring. The second (unreliable) is to just shim the spring to compress it more for a higher pop pressure. The second method more often results in a set of inconsistent injectors that don't last nearly as long. The spring is forced beyond its design, and gets weak quickly. There's also issues with internal bore alignment which can result in a "stuck" injector. If you want high performance injectors, stick with true high pops or new marine injectors.

DA BIG ONE
10-07-2007, 15:02
What number should I look for when getting hi-pop marine injectors and where can I get them?

DmaxMaverick
10-07-2007, 17:55
Start with TDP Advertisers (http://www.thedieselpage.com/vendors/main.htm). You'll get what's advertised. If not, let us know. I don't know the numbers, but those vary anyway.