PDA

View Full Version : Need a Mechanic in Atlanta area!

captaincrunch
12-16-2004, 12:55
After talking with JK it sure would be nice to do it all while it's apart. I'll be getting the parts from JK, most likely.

Here's what I need done:
Water pump upgrade
Phaser Gears
Injectors
Glow plugs

and I may have a L65 intake soon which I'd like to replace the old L56 one.

This is going to be too much for me. Don't have the right tools, time or knowledge.

Is there anyone in the Atlanta area who is trustworthy and reasonable?

Any suggestions?

More Power
12-16-2004, 13:57
It would be hard to find a more experienced group of 6.2/6.5 people than those at The Diesel Depot (http://www.thedieselpage.com/vendors/avant.htm). They are a little northeast of you in Sandersville. Click the colored text in this message to get their address/phone.

MP

captaincrunch
12-17-2004, 05:34
Thanks,

Spoke with them and they're getting back to me with a $$ amount.

They're more south, southeast, near Milledgeville and a long way, 100+ miles.

I was hoping to find someone within say 30 miles or so.

My heater quick-connect busted off inside the crossover, so I can't run it at all . . . unless I can find a way to block it up . . . hum . . . I wouldn't have heat, but I could at least drive it.

I don't know if I can get some sort of plug to stay or not . . .

Anyway, any other recommendations out there?

john8662
12-17-2004, 08:37
If you've got the time you can get the piece out. I've been lucky so far in this department, but I replaced my fitting with a nipple, hose and two clamps so no more quick disconnect heater connection. I don't worry about leaks either, so when you replace crossovers go this route. When you get your rig back up and running I think the drive to The Diesel Depot to have the work done would be WELL worth it, I only wish I was that close!

captaincrunch
12-17-2004, 09:57
Yeah, replacing the disconnect would be great, BUT. It's all broke off inside the crossover. And I can't get to it without taking the thing apart. I will dick with it this weekend (while I wait on parts from JK). I hope I can get the crap drilled out and replace with nipple and hose/clamps.

But, I don't have a harm-bal puller and other "special" tools to do the gears/injectors/glow plugs.

I guess there's not enough of the 6.5's around to be worth having a repair shop for 'em.

They're basically a 350 right? The same, only different?

john8662
12-17-2004, 11:40
Basically a 350? hardly, its a totally different engine, think Big Block Chevy, not Small Block Chevy (SBC).

Just a hint, if you get the new crossover from Kennedy, you could install it in place of your old one, Granted it has two thermostats in it and you won't have the new HO water pump installed yet, but it'll get you by to get to the shop. Since you have a 96, you have the easiest to convert to the dual thermostat configuration, it bolts right on. The 95 and earlier you have to grind the belt tensoner/alternator/ps bracket for clearance as well as some other minor details.

captaincrunch
12-17-2004, 11:53
You know . . . you have a good idea. JK is supposed to be shipping the stuff today, maybe get here by Tuesday? (that'd be nice).

All but the injectors, something about the military hoarding them . . .

Anyway, I'm going to try to remove the crossover (can't hurt, its not going anywhere like it is) and get the old threads out. I could then replace with nipple/hose/clamps. Just in case it takes a few days (with Christmas here and all) to get the parts.

I knew I bought a '96 for some reason! (duh)