PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about an intake swap...

JeepSJ
10-07-2007, 18:37
During my build, I went with the Hummer intake because it was shorter. I thought I needed the space, and it turns out that I don't. The H1 intake has shorter runners and a smaller plenum than the truck version. On top of that I have a Banks plenum. Then, I have a couple brackets that allow me to clock the hat because the H1 intake has the plenum bolts 90* off from the truck version.

I am thinking about swapping in a (non-EGR) truck version intake and plenum. I like the idea of longer runners, and I think the truck intake/plenum will make for a cleaner install. I also think the air path from the turbo into the intake will be a little better with the stock style setup.

Thoughts? I know that in a N/A application, longer runners typically help low end power. Is the same true for a TD?

DA BIG ONE
10-08-2007, 02:35
During my build, I went with the Hummer intake because it was shorter. I thought I needed the space, and it turns out that I don't. The H1 intake has shorter runners and a smaller plenum than the truck version. On top of that I have a Banks plenum. Then, I have a couple brackets that allow me to clock the hat because the H1 intake has the plenum bolts 90* off from the truck version.

I am thinking about swapping in a (non-EGR) truck version intake and plenum. I like the idea of longer runners, and I think the truck intake/plenum will make for a cleaner install. I also think the air path from the turbo into the intake will be a little better with the stock style setup.

Thoughts? I know that in a N/A application, longer runners typically help low end power. Is the same true for a TD?

I'd suspect runner length is not an issue because there is no throttle plate. As for the non-egr setup thinking that is a better option perhaps w/some porting. Because of a diesels low rpm range tuning length of intake is not worth the minor advantages if any.

Robyn
10-08-2007, 06:41
Howdy

As mentioned the runner length is of no importance here.
Long runners with nice gentle bends are sweet on a NA gasser where you are trying to get near sonic flow and using this to help stuff the cylinders.

With the Banks Plenum and the manifold you are in pretty good shape all the way around here.

On the diesel with a huffer the positive pressure on the intake does all the work and crams the cylinders as full as they are going to get.
Also all you are moving is air so this also makes a difference.

Unless you have other issues with the H1 manifold I would use it as is.
You are just going to spend $$$ that could better be spent elsewhere on the build.

Hope this helps

Robyn

JeepSJ
10-11-2007, 21:18
Great feedback. Thank you. Based on that, the only gain would be the elimination of the small restriction caused by my setup for clocking the plenum to the bolt pattern on the intake. But, that is easily taken care of by drilling a couple new holes in the plenum. Well, I guess I'll keep what I have and put the $$ towards my dual battery and new air cleaner projects.

DA BIG ONE
10-12-2007, 01:33
Great feedback. Thank you. Based on that, the only gain would be the elimination of the small restriction caused by my setup for clocking the plenum to the bolt pattern on the intake. But, that is easily taken care of by drilling a couple new holes in the plenum. Well, I guess I'll keep what I have and put the $$ towards my dual battery and new air cleaner projects.

That plenum could use a little taper at the inlet to improve flow (JK's site shows a good taper), porting/polishing not needed because of low rpm operating range of the 6.5 in road applications.

The GW still has its famous great ride after transplant, or?

JeepSJ
10-13-2007, 12:00
That plenum could use a little taper at the inlet to improve flow (JK's site shows a good taper), porting/polishing not needed because of low rpm operating range of the 6.5 in road applications.

The GW still has its famous great ride after transplant, or?

I might look at the plenum from Peninsular and see if I can adapt it to my intake. I think it has a better air path than the Banks. But, that is now way down on my list. I'll check out JK's site - if I can do some work on that plenum...well, that is free and I don't mind spending some time in the garage with the die grinder.

The GW rides nice. It is actually a little soft in the front now due to the weight of the engine. They are known to sag in the back, and now it sits level. I think I'll eventually lift it a little, just enough to clear 31" tires. It sits a little low. It will see a lot of time in the desert and I need just a little more clearance under it. There is a company that makes a lift that uses the same spring rates as stock so it maintains the factory ride.