PDA

View Full Version : Attention Suburban Owners!!!

cshade
10-07-2007, 20:57
I was working an extensive stereo installation, which included gutting the entire inside of my vehicle last weekend to add soundproofing. I got to see a lot of the nuts and bolts of the interior and found some gremlins all of us should keep our eyes on...

When I pulled carpet up from underneath the rear a/c I found the factory sound deadening was soaked from condensation! In this ultra-humid climate of Houston, the condensation from the evaporator and rear blower box was so much that the entire rear passenger floorboard had about a half inch layer of water in it. Our carpets have a rubber backing on the bottom of them, so the only real way to check is to pull the rear sill, peel up some carpet from around that rear ac unit. Other small pockets of dampness showed up, but nothing like the rear a/c area. I highly reccomend you all check that area...especially if there is a musty funkyness comming from the back---FYI

--Charles
Youtube of the install: http://www.youtube.com/DieselSailor

DA BIG ONE
10-08-2007, 01:45
I was working an extensive stereo installation, which included gutting the entire inside of my vehicle last weekend to add soundproofing. I got to see a lot of the nuts and bolts of the interior and found some gremlins all of us should keep our eyes on...

When I pulled carpet up from underneath the rear a/c I found the factory sound deadening was soaked from condensation! In this ultra-humid climate of Houston, the condensation from the evaporator and rear blower box was so much that the entire rear passenger floorboard had about a half inch layer of water in it. Our carpets have a rubber backing on the bottom of them, so the only real way to check is to pull the rear sill, peel up some carpet from around that rear ac unit. Other small pockets of dampness showed up, but nothing like the rear a/c area. I highly reccomend you all check that area...especially if there is a musty funkyness comming from the back---FYI

--Charles
Youtube of the install: http://www.youtube.com/DieselSailor

I've decided to completely gut mine too.

After cleaning up floors I'll be installing drain plugs to aid in dry out after fording followed up by spraying or rolling on some bed liner, dynomat for next layer, however, I'm no sure if I want carpet or rubber floor covering.

cshade
10-14-2007, 20:28
You will be hard pressed to find better carpet than what is in there now. HD fiber plus a nice rubber underside. It does wonders for sound deadening by itself. I saw from a mail order truck parts magazine a really nice set of vulcanized/molded carpet for suburbans for around 800 bucks full set.

I laid dynamat (actually eDead V1se) over the factory soundproofing and taped the seams with duck tape. Taking apart the rear a/c was kind of a nightmare: time consuming, not hard. I recommend you go to sears and get the 7 dollar angle tool for pulling plastic panels. It is worth its weight in gold when you need to pry and not break something.

cwillis
01-22-2008, 13:40
how did your sound deadening go? was it worth it? how quiet is your ride now?

93GMCSierra
01-22-2008, 13:46
To be honest it sounds like he was not trying to quieten the ride, just keep the sound from being "tinny" though it does amount to the same thing really.

cwillis
01-22-2008, 20:07
well i would like to hear how i went. I have plans to go all out on mine.

floors, walls, roof, doors. with matting, and foam, etc.

all from secondskinaudio.com

Robyn
01-22-2008, 21:17
Im going to venture a guess that the condensate drain on the rear unit got plugged up. These trucks generally dont sweat.
I live up here in NW Oregon where it rains and when its not raining its thinking about it.

I have had the rear barn door gaskets leak a time or two and really soak things. Had to pull the carpet and the pad out and dry it all real good. Never had an issue with sweating though.

I will bet its either leaky rear door seals or the condenser drain is/was plugged.

Goodluck

Robyn

darkroad
02-03-2008, 09:50
Hi Went through the same thing a few years back on my 90 suburban. If you have the thickness and want to replace your old carpet go ahead and soundproof it and then put you old carpet under your new, this doubles the thickness. Another area to watch is in the door panels where any rods go through the panel to locks and latches. Most soundproofing has a sticky back so don't just cut slits for the rods. Get some brake lines or plactic tubing, cut short pieces of it and either slip it over rods or cut in half. Tape it back over the area where the rod slides through and put a little piece of the soundpfoofing on it to keep it in place. You won't notice it much during hot weather but when it gets cold it will keep the rod from doing its thing. I went ahead and got a undercoating kit from JC Witney and after blowing and washing out the crud from inside doors, cavities I dried all really well and layed it too it and used almost a gallon of POR-15 inside anywhere I could get it. Replaced factory dash speakers with high quality ones, sony xpods speakers in each door, took a pair roadmaster boxes made to go behind p/u seats and replaced the speakers with xpods and made up brackets so they attach to the sides above the rear wheelwells. Now they sit about 6 inches above the top of wheel tubs so they don't cut down on floor space and added a 10" bass tube for now. Next am going to build a custom console for in between the front seats with drink holders and 2 10" subs. Three amps and a subwoofer amp. I was going for clarity more than loudness. Have never turned it over 3/4 , thats so loud it hurts my ears and I am an old heavy metal fan. Even at that if you are more than a few feet away with the doors shut you can't tell its very loud but extreamly clear. Unlike some of these that make your car jump when they pull up beside you. Its not how much you spend on speakers, its matching them so they work the way you want them to. If you want to get really cool take down your headliner and add ribs from side to side flush with the bottom of the headliner. Add plywood, but leave space for a/c to still blow if necessary. You should get enough behind panels to load up the ceiling with speakers also. Want to be different and really cool go to local paint and wallpaper. Look through mirrored wallpaper made for bathrooms. Any kind of pattern and colors you want. Cover up all the upper plywood, cut out for speakers . I did it years ago and everyone thought it was really cool, plus no droopy or headliner that is falling apart.

Sounds like a fun job

Darkroad

cwillis
02-04-2008, 02:10
Thanks but i'll stay away from mirrored plywood cielings in my truck.

What would that do to the sound stage?!?! GEEZ!