PDA

View Full Version : Att'n More Power - Fuel solinod

nigeljones
04-12-2005, 17:27
Jim,

We spoke when I joined the page and you had mentioned to me that you had conducted a seminar on swapping out the fuel solinod at the back of the Injector pump. Do you have any written info available on this subject of, "how too".

I spoke with a pump rebuilder on this and he adviced against it, due to the fact that their was a washer/seat that has a very tight tolerence that could be affected.

I have a spare pump and I wanted to take up your advice on swapping out the part to check if it is "gawled".

I get from time to time the DTC of 1216 and 1217 and when I add a fuel lubricant things seem to settle down for a while. I now know when I set a code as I can feel a slight hesitation usually, when running at highway speed. However, the check engine light does not highlight this you have to find it with the use of a scanner.

Thanks

More Power
04-12-2005, 19:53
Nigel, I have a disassembled DS4 that I use for photos and demos, so I'm somewhat familiar with both the individual parts and dis/reassembly. I've asked DS techs about replacing the fuel solenoid in place on the engine, and was told that it can be done.

I've not yet done a fuel solenoid replacement piece. Due to the nature of these pumps and thoughts on fuel calibration, I've not been completely at ease with some of the things that are possible....

A failing fuel solenoid can produce a code 35/36 or P1216/1217. The solenoid plunger shafts I've seen that were removed from bad pumps showed galling on the close tolerance shaft. Some think fuel lubricity or fuel quality may have been a contributor to the problem. I've actually recommended some try added fuel lubricity to help identify a sticky solenoid. Don't have any good info that would prove/disprove either way - just kinda makes logical sense.

MP

gmctd
04-13-2005, 02:50
Replacing the Fuel Solenoid is not an easy task, Inj Pump off the engine, and is even more difficult attempting it, IP in-place.

Then, the impossible task becomes adjusting the shims, spring and washer for the required .005" armature\shuttle movement, to meet min\max Closure Time spec.

Part of the adjustment must be accomplished with the FS on the bench, the final adj as the FS is screwed into the IP, and is locked down.

Intrepid DS4 pump guys strongly advise not to attempt the procedure, even on a clean prepared bench-top.

Just a thought, from other forums where just such guys hang out.

nigeljones
04-13-2005, 05:33
Excellent feedback.

From the conversation that I had with you Jim, I thought this was something that could be done. So I had aquired a take off pump for that purpose.

So I will not attempt to complete this repair.

But continue to add lubricant until such times I am driven to replace the pump.

Thanks smile.gif

More Power
04-13-2005, 07:34
A general consensus indicates that a quality fuel treatment that includes added lubricity is recommended for all DS owners, whether they are experiencing a problem or not. Just a little added insurance. Since most people see a slight bump in fuel economy, the treatment usually winds up a break even deal, so other than the slight inconvenience of treating each tank of fuel, the costs are negligible.

MP