PDA

View Full Version : DaHooooley and the Ghostrider

Robyn
10-09-2007, 08:10
These two dont usually get parked this close and with both hooked up I decided a Piccy was in order before the rains pour down again.

The kids are thinking about a 99 xtra cab short bed for themselves and to pull this trailer.
I understand the 99 has a 6 litre. Well it dont burn oil but it should have enough snort to do the job.

later troops

Robyn

Mark Rinker
10-09-2007, 09:20
Cool! It does look like a ghost!

As for the kids choice in trucks - FAMILY DOESN'T LET FAMILY DRIVE GASSER PICKUPS... :D

gmctd
10-09-2007, 15:04
Way cool - imo at least half of those air honkers would look good on the roof of the jimmy, knowwhuttimean?

Agree with MRE - family don't let family drive no gassers (patooie!)..............................

Robyn
10-09-2007, 20:13
Mark
Family does if they be poor folks.

The kids got a good deal on the 99 from a family member.
Tony and Samantha are just getting started with their family.
The grandson is 10 months old now and they bought a house earlier this year.
The son inlaw is a firefighter paramedic and is doing it right.

The Ghost rider name came to be when I first looked at the truck when it came to the dealership from the outfitters. It was blowing in fog from across Puget sound up in Bellingham WA. The truck was in and out of view and I made a wise crack about Ghost Rider and when I went back up a week later to pick it up all the company lettering was done to my specs and they had placed the name Ghost Rider on the hood.
The salesman was worried that I might not like it but it is a fitting name for the beast.

Been down the road close to 600K in her now. The old 500 Kitten still purrs just sweet.
On her second 18 spd ranger now. The rears are still factory and one set of driver brake shoes are still factory.
Been one helluvatruck for sure. still gets about 5-1/2 MPG loaded at 105,500 and uses only about a gallon of oil every 5K or so miles. Same as it was when new.

GMCTD
Well those honkers come in way handy at times to open up eyes and get heads out of certain dark places.

Been thinking about a set of those train horns for DaHooooley.

There is a local fellow that has 8 of the long honkers on the roof of his Pete plus a set of the train horns under the truck.
Has them 10" chrome super stacks too that reach halfway to the moon.

That thing is such a truck stop queen.
The Ghostrider is a working girl, know what I mean !!

Actually I have a set of 4 Hadleys that I could bolt up top of the Jimmy.
The kid would probably roast me unmercifully if I did it though.
I have thought about mounting them on a clamp on roof light rack.
maybe add some amber flashing strobes and a couple billion watt road lights just to look cool :D

Later and thanks for the good thoughts. :)

Robyn

trbankii
10-10-2007, 10:37
Been thinking about a set of those train horns for DaHooooley.

Not installed yet, but I picked up a set of these: http://cgi.ebay.com/Hammer-3-Horn-Chrome-Gmax-Valve-3-8-Fitting_W0QQitemZ130162007136QQihZ003QQcategoryZ95 164QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem

Hooked them up to the air compressor in the shop and after setting them off spent a good few minutes rolling around on the floor giggling my a** off...

Will definitely wake up the idiots out on the roads! And the folks at Siege Engineering were quite pleasant to deal with.

Robyn
10-10-2007, 17:46
OH yeah Buddy
I have seen the chaos that touching off a set of them train horns in traffic can cause.
It is the best remedy for even the most serious case of craniorectal insertion I have ever seen. :D

"Sits giggling wildly"

Robyn

a5150nut
10-10-2007, 21:07
I worked with a water truck driver that had train horns under the right front. They made your feet hurt if you were standing within 50 ft of the truck! :eek::eek::eek::eek:

Robyn
10-11-2007, 06:23
These sorts of things are a lot of fun but need to be used with care out on the road.

I witnessed one incident where a trucker unleashed a set of the train horns when traffic was just crawling (Out of frustration) and it caused several drivers to panic and this resulted in a multiple rear end crash as all the fools reacted to the blast and were just sure they were about to be gobbled up by a giant locomotive traveling 100MPH :eek::eek:

Truth is there is not a train track withing 20 miles of that spot :confused:

They are handy for getting one of two things to happen.
1- Wake someone up that really needs it.
2- Getting mutiple copies of the middle finger aimed your direction. :rolleyes:

Good if used with care. ( The horns and the middle finger) :D

trbankii
10-11-2007, 18:41
Yep... Part of the reason that the horn hasn't been installed in the truck yet...

Although, sure could have used it the other month. Driving along at dusk - with the lights on, mind you - and as I was approaching a side street a car was coming along it. He stopped for the stop sign, looked directly at me, and then proceeded to pull out in front of me... :eek:

I laid on the stock horn, slammed on the brakes, and the combination of the squeeling tires and horn apparently finally got his attention. His face was utter panic and he floored it, going across four lanes and ending up on the shoulder on the other side... Fortunately there was no damage, injuries, or anything else to report. And not that the train horn would have made a lick of difference. But if he didn't mess his pants with the way things did play out, I'm sure he would have if I had the train horn to work with! :D

I'm thinking one of those aircraft style safety switches with the red cover to switch between the regular horn and a solenoid air valve so that the steering wheel button would work either horn... Of course, when you actually needed the train horn you'd have to first throw the safety switch...

Another thought was to wire in a 555 timer so that laying on the regular horn for x number of second and it would switch over to the train horn...

By the way, you can get a sound clip of the horn here: http://www.siegeengine.com/auctions/horn/horn.mpg

BamaChief600
10-11-2007, 19:40
Oh I know what ya need....You need a pair of Grover Stutter air horns like we run on the fire engine. http://www.airhorns.com

ThumperTDC
10-11-2007, 23:50
As for the kids choice in trucks - FAMILY DOESN'T LET FAMILY DRIVE GASSER PICKUPS... :D

Robyn didnt have a choice in the matter. I was gonna settle for a 1/2 ton and not worry about my wife using my truck to pull that trailer, was gonna let Robyn have to deal with my wife on using the the pickup with the training wheels http://www.4strokes.com/images/forums/pics/ttdc/smilies/holla.gif . But I couldn't pass up the deal i got on it. I mean come one now, I was wanting to get a Dodge, but ended up sticking with GM. It will suit my needs for now and best of all its paid for. 4 months of working a second job paid for this truck so I cant complain. But for the record i do want a diesel, but right not its not worth it to have one.......................my story might change once I get it setup to pull the horse trailer and my wife starts using it for that, but for right now I am happy with it.

Robyn
10-12-2007, 07:24
Got a chance to cast my caustic eye on Tony's 99 GMC last evening.
NICE TRUCK

A diesel would have been nice but this truck is a sweetheart.
Overall very clean with just a few scratches here and there so that one does not cringe if it gets dirty.

Price was great too. After having paid for many new trucks over the last many years I can and do appreciate a truck thats paid for.

I have not personally driven this fine little beast but it was sure a nice ride from the shotgun seat.

I have pulled our big slant load horsie hauler with a 2500 Dodge back a few years ago and it did very well. The Dodge had a V10 and power was no issue but the tranny was the fuse.
I am sure this GMC can more than handle the job with the baby rat motor and the 4L80

Good luck to Tony and Sam with their "New to them" GMC

I give it a 5 :D

Best

Robyn