PDA

View Full Version : BD chip opinion wanted

signgrafix
10-10-2007, 08:34
I just purchased a BD chip for the 6.5 diesel at a really good deal. Has anybody out there used their chip and what did thy think about it.

Here is what their add claims.

Proms and Programmed ECMs: Your 6.5 Turbo Diesel power can be enhanced with a exchange ECM from BD. They will produce a 30-40 horsepower increase and 60-90 lbs foot of torque. We also have modified the transmission shifting to take advantage of this performance increase. On 96-00 models, we program the computer with performance curves and replace the complete computer. On 1994 & 1995 trucks, we simply replace the E-prom located in the computer mounted behind the glove box. GM 1992 & 1993 model engines are mechanically, rather than electronically-controlled. Enhance engine horsepower by installing a BD turbo waste-gate control, a larger exhaust system, and a higher flow air intake system to increase airflow and reduce exhaust temperatures. Unless the individual product has been identified with a CARB# this product may only be used in California for Race applications and not be used on a highway.

More Power
10-10-2007, 11:03
BD has their own chassis dyno and doesn't advertise numbers their performance tuning can't produce. BD was one of the very first to support the 6.5, and continues to support that engine with a wide range of products.

Jim

DmaxMaverick
10-10-2007, 11:22
I agree with MP. BD is pretty much "no nonsense". Their numbers may appear a little less impressive than some others, but that should attribute some confidence in the validity. Several suppliers and distributors post performance numbers that aren't even possible, but people buy into it, only to complain later. The standard excuse (by the suppliers/distributors) is the buyer's lack of accompanying mods that make those claims possible. Of course, they will sell you all the stuff you need to get their numbers, which is still futile in the end. Hogwash, IMO.

Kenneth
10-10-2007, 13:21
I have a 94 6.5 TD and wanted to know the opinon of Heath Diesel's eprom compared to BD. I know BD is pretty good, but I have been working with Heath Diesel on some problems with my motor lately and they have been really good. here's their claim:

The Max-E-Tork features completely redesigned fuel delivery and start of injection timing curves. Typical gain in output is 65 hp and 150 lb ft torque!

When I compared that to BD I find it hard to believe Heath Diesel's performance rating. Heath also claims their stage 3 performance combo puts out 140 HP and 170 torque.

What is the opinion on these products and their ratings?

BiggR
10-10-2007, 17:01
I had a BD chip in my truck, worked great! I switched to the Kennedy TD-Max because it produced more boost and fuel for an intercooled application! You can expect about 10psi max boost pressure from the BD, great for an otherwise stock truck!

signgrafix
10-10-2007, 18:31
Well good. It sounds like I made a good purchase. I am only really interested in helping it along when towing my camper. I am not looking to do smokey burnouts or anything.

I had just never heard of BD. My plans were to purchase a Kennedy chip on down the road. It was the last thing I was going to do. I want to do all the cooling upgrades and gauges first.

More Power
10-11-2007, 10:52
I have a 94 6.5 TD and wanted to know the opinon of Heath Diesel's eprom compared to BD. I know BD is pretty good, but I have been working with Heath Diesel on some problems with my motor lately and they have been really good. here's their claim:

The Max-E-Tork features completely redesigned fuel delivery and start of injection timing curves. Typical gain in output is 65 hp and 150 lb ft torque!

When I compared that to BD I find it hard to believe Heath Diesel's performance rating. Heath also claims their stage 3 performance combo puts out 140 HP and 170 torque.

What is the opinion on these products and their ratings?

Gotta see the results from some independent dyno runs..... Then (assuming the 140 additional hp is correct), I'd like to see that 6.5 pull the 4 mile long grade climbing out of the Columbia Gorge on I-90 in central WA state with an 8-10K trailer in tow. 300 RWHP (a stock 6.5 is at 160 RWHP) will allow a diesel pickup to tow that trailer up that grade at the posted speed limit (70-mph) in overdrive and have power to spare. ;)

Jim

Turbine Doc
10-11-2007, 18:56
FWIW you mite want to confirm with Heath but I believe when they talk HP, they use flywheel HP ratings like the factory does so one can get a sense of change, depending on health of drive train, tires etc, 40-60 Hp lost at the wheel vs crank ratings, I run a Heath in mine as well as some Kennedy stuff,

Mine capable of pulling 18K# loaded open GN trailer all day long on mostly flat with some short hill pulls, last dyno I ran was 197 Hp as a mostly S configuration engine, Iv'e done some other stuff since that run and haven't dynoed in 2 years,

By my seat of pant dyno and comparing where others have run theirs similarly configured; I'm guessing 225 rwhp or so is what I'm getting with current configuration.

Also check with Heath I think at one time they did some joint venture stuff on chips & reflashes so the BD may be Heath as well, I don't know if they are still doing JV stuff.

Heath has a big hill out his way I think part of the Cascade Mountain range miles of long 6 or better degree grade as his proving ground, and IIRC is not too far from BD so he may be using them for Chassy dyno as well

damork
10-11-2007, 21:03
I had a set of 2 BD chips for my 95 Yukon, one called the Race chip, the other the RV chip. Stock was good to maybe 6 lbs boost. The RV was good for 7-8 lbs boost and the Race would jump over 12 lbs whenever I wanted it to. These were available in 97-98 time frame, but I no longer have the power curves they used to publish, but for the majority of the 258k miles I used the Race chip and it was just great. Power was there when I needed it and I got 19-20 mpg highway mileage when cruising 60-65. Sold the truck and chips when with it.

Kenneth
10-12-2007, 07:20
last dyno I ran was 197 Hp as a mostly S configuration engine

What is the HP/torque difference in a 94 vin F and S? Aren't they both stock turbos?

Turbine Doc
10-12-2007, 09:34
What is the HP/torque difference in a 94 vin F and S? Aren't they both stock turbos?

I don't recall the published difference but S is slightly lower maybe 5-10 Hp and 10-20 torque lower.

S is EGR equipped, S has smaller precups, lower max fuel 56mm S vs 63 max in the F, F's don't have hot gasses running thru intake so even a plugged S intake still gets warmer charge air, unless plugging at heads, Upper S intake is slitted so air coming in via (2) 1/4" or so wide slits vs full open F upper, no EGR diverter in F intake.

Viable swap is F complete intake upper & lower, also if equipped with MAF sensor 98/99/00(some) is another S airflow restriction. Change a stock F PCM/chip into a S truck which becomes a low buck reflash to F stock tune for a S guy, not much; but some improvement over S stock, one really needs a chip/flash to wake the dead from stock performance levels.

Also highly illegal so be warned.