PDA

View Full Version : Surges when shifting in reverse

metman121
10-10-2007, 09:38
Excellent forum! I just picked up a '98 Chev Silverado 3/4 Ton (6.5L 80 series trans) last month. So far, becoming a member of this site saved me many $$$ (Thanks!). Here is my problem: When I shift into reverse and without touching the throttle, my engine surges suddenly and briefly (with a little puff of black smoke), I usually have to be ready on the brake when this happens. As well, when backing uphill, sometime my engine seems 'gutless', regardless of how much fuel I give - there is a lag, requiring me to ease off and give the throttle again. Any ideas/advice?

Thanks,
Colin

redbird2
10-10-2007, 20:20
have you serviced the trans yet start there, do you get any surging in forward gears? the last one I had do this was the planetary taking a dump I took my to my trans rebuild shop they did the service on the trans as I hate working on auto transmissions, 3 days later and $1600.00 surging was gone.
good luck

metman121
10-11-2007, 05:06
have you serviced the trans yet start there, do you get any surging in forward gears? the last one I had do this was the planetary taking a dump I took my to my trans rebuild shop they did the service on the trans as I hate working on auto transmissions, 3 days later and $1600.00 surging was gone.
good luck

Thanks for the reply. No, there is no surging in forward gears, seems to run great otherwise which makes this more puzzling. Here are a couple of more small details I should have mentioned: It only does the surge thing in reverse after the truck has fully warmed up. Again, its a small, very brief unexpected jolt of power (1/2 sec) requiring no throttle. I will have mine serviced soon.

Colin

DA BIG ONE
10-11-2007, 05:31
At times when the pressure manifold inside trans pan starts to fail this surge in reverse will start the manifest into something bad which is what happened to me. Check codes part is not costly takes about 1/2 to 1.0 hours to replace and be done with it.

When manifold can not read trans pressure properly the trans control can actually sends commands that destroy the transmission like grinding gears, banging the grinding, not in gear you set it at, and on and on.

Cowracer
10-11-2007, 06:34
surge in reverse is a known symptom of a dying FSD.

Better think about getting one. Most of the supporting vendors sell either improved FSD's or kits to replace AND relocate it.

Search FSD for tons of info.

Tim

metman121
10-11-2007, 15:39
Thanks for the advice Cowracer, I do have a spare (supposedly tested) FSD, I'll keep that in my truck, just in case.
And Thanks for your info, Da Big One.. I have to ask you what part was replaced, a sensor in the tranny that senses the manifold pressure? I'll certainly get the codes read.. If my problem is the same as yours, what ball park figure would I be looking at? (If US $$, I'll add 50% to be safe to convert to CDN shop prices/parts/taxes).

Colin :confused:

CareyWeber
10-17-2007, 09:27
Clean the transmission output speed sensor. ;) If you have a 4x4 it's in the rear output of the transfer case.

metman121
10-19-2007, 17:11
Thanks everyone for your anwsers, I'll eventually incorporate them all. However; after having my codes read 3 days ago (which were 1216-Fuel Solenoid response time too short & 1217-Fuel Solenoid response time too long), my mechanic (arms length of credentials/experence) said that they are also a known codes that affect the transmission and blamed "dry fuel" as causing the fuel pump solenoids sticking, and suggested using a good fuel conditioner. I did just that right after I left the garage (no charge for the codes pulled) and after adding a double dose of DSG's fuel conditioner to a tank, the symptoms have yet to come back!.. Still, when I have my transmission filter changed soon, I'll be putting in a new Pressure manifold switch (cheap peace of mind, compliments of 'Da Big One') and will do a cleaning of all the optical speed sensors as a precaution (thanks 'CareyWeber' for the advice).

Colin:)