PDA

View Full Version : Grease Type Oil Coming Out Of Pvc

bertram31
10-10-2007, 17:01
I recently replaced stock air filter with high flow aftermarket unit. While disconnecting the hose coming from the left valve cover I noticed a heavy amount of oil turned into almost a grease consistency. The gold cylindrical device attached to hose coming off the valve cover was full of this residue. Not sure if this is normal. The gold cylindrical valve appeared to me to be what gas motors would refer to as a PVC valve. The motor is a recent rebuild 99 block installed in a 96 GMC 3500 Dually. Any ideas?? r/ Roland

Kenneth
10-10-2007, 17:23
Well, first off that "gold cylindrical valve" is a CDR (crankcase depression regulator). It is essentially a pvc valve, which you were right on. The book recommends replacing it every 30k miles; which most shops tell you is wise. The part cost about $80-100 depending on where you buy it. I replaced mine by suggestion of Heath Diesel due to me complaining about a rear main seal leaking. I wasn't adding a lot of oil, but I did have a lot of oil leaks. I changed the cdr and immediately about 90% of the oil leaks quit.

About the oil/grease, I have no idea, but I would definitely start with chaning the regulator. This is an important part to get clean air on, so make sure you get a quality part, not a fram! Get like a wix or some other high quality part.

trbankii
10-10-2007, 18:54
Not to pick nits necessarily, but it is PCV - positive crankcase ventilation...

PVC is the plastic... :)

RockAuto has the CDR for $49: http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,carcode,1052514,parttype,4932

Kenneth
10-11-2007, 10:26
That what I meant. Thanks for catching that. Some people actually don't and often interchange the two.

Hey great find on that AC Delco part!! I will definitely check that out when I need to replace my CDR.

trbankii
10-11-2007, 10:59
No problem... This site turned me on to RockAuto and I've been a believer ever since.

rustyk
10-15-2007, 21:22
I wasn't adding a lot of oil, but I did have a lot of oil leaks. I changed the cdr and immediately about 90% of the oil leaks quit.

About the oil/grease, I have no idea, but I would definitely start with chaning the regulator. This is an important part to get clean air on, so make sure you get a quality part, not a fram! Get like a wix or some other high quality part.

Same here - I wasn't getting a lot of oil externally, but replacing the CDRV stopped what there was. BTW, oil mixed with dust will appear to the uninitiated to be "grease" (actually, one of the thickeners for grease is Hectorite clay...basically dirt on steroids...)